Handy solar charged lantern for backpacking or car…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Handy solar charged lantern for backpacking or car camping. Easy to clip on a backpack for travel or in a tent for reading.

Pros

• Four light settings
  • Strap has three plastic snap locations for hanging

Cons

• Hard to get nozzle out of lantern body for blowing up or letting air out.

This was a gift, and has ended up being a take everywhere lantern. It lives on my vehicle dashboard for constant solar charging until I strap it onto my backpack to hang in my tent in the backcountry.

It has three strengths of light lasting between six and twelve hours on a full charge, and a flashing light lasting up to thirty two hours on a full charge. At 3.2 ounces, the convenience of the lantern outweighs any hesitancy about adding it to my pack for a multi-day hike.

IMG_1049.jpgThe lantern is waterproof, 100% PVC free and lead free. LuminAID cost is between $16 and $23, and LuminAID has added additional versions of this lantern for even longer lasting light. Size: 4" x 4" x 4" inflated. 4" x 4" x 1" deflated.

The only inconvenience is prying the blow-up nozzle out of the lantern body, but that doesn't deter me from using and loving this lantern to light up my tent or my truck camper when sleeping in the back. I just snap the strap together and hang it where I can. And I don't have to use up my headlamp batteries to read by.

Welcome to Trailspace, Gail! Thanks for sharing your first review with us of your lantern.

This was hands down the coolest piece in my pack:…

Summary

This was hands down the coolest piece in my pack: Super compact, weighing almost nothing, low price, and so much fun to use!

Pros

• Compact
  • Waterproof
  • Solar powered
  • Fun

Cons

• No battery indicator

I've heard tell of a new model coming soon with a micro USB to charge devices and a more accurate battery indicator. Those improvements would be swell, but this gadget is awesome as it is.

Bring it to some hot springs after dark, send it floating with the "Spectra" color gradation model, and prepare to be amazed. Perfect amount of ambient light and I've seen people hiking with it, although it's definitely a diffused, lower lumen output than a headlamp.

It's so light and compact, there's no reason not to bring it everywhere! Just don't leave it sunning on a beach in Cambodia and you'll be good to go.

So, did you leave yours on a beach in Cambodia...?

The Packlite 12 has been discontinued.

The LuminAID Packlite 12 is not available from the stores we monitor.

Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Review