Q&A

Have a question about pillows? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

This is my dream pillow for camping. Compacts small,…

Price Paid: $34 CAD

Summary

This is my dream pillow for camping. Compacts small, and inflates large and firm.

Pros

• Compact
  • Inflatable
  • Supportive
  • Good for side-sleepers
  • Firm

Cons

• Moves around
  • Can be noisy

MEC-Deluxe-Pillow-grey.jpgColours: "Cardinal Red Foliage Print" or "Asphalt"

Sizes:

• Medium is 27.5 x 39 x 12 cm (10-3/4" x 15-1/4" x 4-3/4")
  • Large is 30 x 49 x 12 cm (11-3/4" x 19-1/4" x 4-3/4").

Fit & Comfort (8/10): The fit is appropriate for side-sleepers who need a thicker, firmer pillow. Other sleepers (back/front) can also deflate it to your liking, if you prefer a thinner pillow. The shredded memory-foam makes the top surface really soft and conforming.

Packability (10/10): Compacts down to about the size of a softball... enough said.

Loft (8/10): This pillow has lots of volume, but not much "fluff"... so if you like a fluffy pillow, I suggest you look elsewhere... but I love a nice thick firm pillow, and this one fits the bill!

Ease of Use (10/10): There's literally ONE moving part: the air valve. It's pretty hard to screw up.

Features (8/10): This is essentially a pillow-sized air mattress with a velvety outer permanent "pillowcase", and the top of the pillow has a thin compartment of shredded memory foam for additional comfort. I really like the foam-top for comfort, and the velvetty texture is quite soft.

Construction & Durability (10/10): I think you'd have to be intentionally malicious to break this pillow. the inner bladder is protected by the soft outer fabric. There's not much to say beyond that, it's solid construction.

Conditions: I'm a side sleeper, and I prefer a firm pillow with enough volume to hold my head up. I love this pillow for being thick, firm, and comfortable when in use, but also packing incredibly small. I've had the large version of this pillow for about three years now, and I've never seen a better camp pillow for me.

My only real complaint is the propensity for this pillow to slide away in the night. My recommendation to stop this pillow from drifting: slip your mattress pad inside a spare T-shirt, then stuff the pillow inside the same t-shirt and position it at the top of the pad... the T-shirt will hold the pillow and the sleeping pad together so the pillow cannot escape!

MEC-Deluxe-Pillow-SIZES.jpg

Jake W

I'm pretty sure this is the same pillow I have from MEC (mines like 7 years old now so they've changed the model names a couple times but kept the product essentially the same), it's so comfortable and still going strong. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review, DECKEL! Do you have the medium or large size?

DECKEL!

I have the large size.

Thanks!

Jayson Merryfield

Thanks for the review! We need more reviews of MEC gear on TS. :)

Yes, Jayson! I love to see reviews of brands not sold in or as well known in the U.S. There are so many interesting ones out there around the world and it's good to broaden one's scope.

Avid Hiker

Just a note re: MEC: Americans can join MEC, order online or by phone, and have products shipped anywhere in the U.S., as long as the products are marked OK for shipping to the U.S. Some are not, due (I guess) to trade or company agreements, but most have been just fine. I had several rescue packages of bicycle and hiking gear sent to me even in deepest NC. Now that I'm back in the Pacific Northwest, it's just a hop over the border to an actual store, but it was very nice to have this option when I needed it.

Their website is mec.ca

I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing, Avid Hiker.

Avid Hiker

Also should add that there is a shipping rate of about $25 per total order, depending on exchange rate, but oh, was it worth it for my deeelux winter backpacker ground pad, the no-longer-available made-in-Canada AquaNaught panniers (sold when I crashed the bike - sniff!) and next gen Bernoulli rain jacket to match my twenty year old, still impervious, Bernoulli rain pants .

Good to know, Avid Hiker. Sounds like you got some great (review worthy?) gear.