Solid shoe for running trails. As for any shoe, fit…

Summary

Solid shoe for running trails. As for any shoe, fit is key.

Pros

• Great traction
  • Fairly water resistant

Cons

• Stiffer than other shoes

Although I usually run on the roads, I've been running on some (fairly non-technical) trails enough that I decided to get a trail running shoe. I've been using Mizuno Wave Inspires for my running shoe, and the running shoe store suggested that the Wave Kazans would be 'comparable'. (I think they probably just recommended it because it's Mizuno's only trail-running shoe.)

Anyway, the shoes have been working fine through about 200 miles of use. I was concerned because the upper part (above the toes) seemed to be stiff, and I was concerned it would rub my toes and cause blisters. However, that hasn't been a problem.

I do think these shoes are stiffer and required more time to 'break in' than other shoes I've had. The shoes shed water fairly well.

Traction is great. I've actually been running in ice/snow conditions and had better traction than I expected. I was worried about the traction wearing off quickly since I run a fair amount on the road to get to the trails, but no complaints so far.

Daniel Oates

Thanks for the review and welcome to Trailspace, Ron! I've actually gone from using my trail runners solely for running, now to hiking as well. A good fit counts and the light weight and traction can make the difference. What type of foot shape do you have (high arch, wide toe box, etc.)? With its stiffness, have you noticed any heel blisters or irritations?

Thanks for sharing this review, Ron!

Ron Peck

Hi Daniel, I haven't had any blisters or irritation with these shoes. As far as fit, I have been told I'm a slight overpronator when I run. I think I'm in the 'medium' range for arches and foot width.