An excellent, albeit unconventional choice if you…

Price Paid: $55 on sale

Summary

An excellent, albeit unconventional choice if you can't decide between shorts or long pants, especially during the shoulder seasons.

Pros

• Man Capris!
  • Excellent workmanship
  • Sturdy fabric
  • Great fit

Cons

• Man Capris! (could be a style violation)

Often as I am getting ready for a hike in autumn or spring, I have to make a decision whether to wear shorts or long pants. Shorts might be too cool, but full long pants might get too warm. I have often found myself hiking with long pants cuffed up to ventilate.

I've seen 3/4 length pants like this for a few years now, and wondered how they'd work out. My previous wife told me not to get them, as she thought it was a terrible fashion faux-pas for guys. But the love-of-my life suggested I give them a try. I saw them on sale, so ordered them up!

20181215_152633_2.jpg
The cotton/nylon blend, has just a little elastane giving it a nice stretchy fit. The canvas weight fabric is sturdy, and shows no abrasion, even with some encounters with Sierra granite. The fabric is a bit heavy, and would like likely be too warm in the hot summer months. But in cooler weather, it is perfect, with a nice balance between breathability and warmth.

20181215_154305_2.jpg
The inseam is 19 inches, and hits at about mid-calf on my shortish legs. The fly closure is a rivet style, so won't get loose over time, like a regular sewn-in button might. The YKK zipper is metal instead of nylon, so should last a long time. I have had nylon zippers blow out in hiking pants and shorts way before their time, so this is a big selling point for me.

IMG_20181215_173515.jpg
There are five pockets: two zip pockets on the back, two hip pockets, and a velcro thigh pocket which is the perfect size for a cell phone. The inside of the pockets is a nylon mesh. The pockets are all well placed and easy to access.

IMG_20181215_173534.jpg

I have worn them on a few outings now, and am more than happy with the result. On an end-of-season hike in the Desolation Wilderness, they were just right. Never felt hot, but never felt cold either. Several subsequent hikes in the Sierra foothills have confirmed that this was a great choice.

If you can get past the fact that they are "capris," which is an unusual look for men, these are a great alternative for cool weather hiking, cyling, or climbing.

Nice review, David! Thanks for taking the time to share it.

By the way, for those unsure about capris, there is a full-length version: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/ap-pant/