Mountain House Homestyle Turkey Dinner Casserole

Q&A

Have a question about meat entrées? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

Great for camping, this is a hot meal that will satisfy…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I received a sample of this product from the brand or its representatives in exchange for a review. )

Summary

Great for camping, this is a hot meal that will satisfy with fantastic flavor, just like Thanksgiving dinner!

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Flavorful
  • Satisfying

Cons

• Bulky in the backpack

As a member of another website, sometimes I receive products in exchange for an honest review and that is the case with this turkey dinner. I had the pleasure of saving this for my first night on the Appalachian Trail at Springer Mountain, Georgia.

The flavor was amazing...just like a Thanksgiving meal. I'm a chef, so I'm picky, and I thought that it was very satisfying and the seasoning was not overwhelming. I was concerned that the stuffing might be soggy, but was very please when it turned out just like it does when you cook it from scratch.

The package says 2 servings, but I was so hungry after a full day of hiking, I ate the whole thing! There was plenty to share if you had a smaller appetite, or something else to accompany the meal, but was filling if you wanted the whole thing at once or had a larger appetite.

I'd pack this again in a heartbeat.

Only thing I don't like is how much space they take up in my pack, but considering the ease of use and the quality of the end product, I'll sacrifice some pack space for a good "home-cooked" meal now and then. Not to mention the fact that since the bag has a zipper on it, it makes a great "trash" container that you can pack out of the camp.

Disclosure: The reviewer received a sample of this product from the brand or its representatives in exchange for a review.

Paul Lapierre GUIDE/OUTFITTER

When I am out for multiple days I have to watch my calorie count so not to crash. What would be the total calories of the pouch.

Amy INCENTIVIZED REVIEWER

Hi! Sorry, I was so hungry I forgot to take a photo of the nutrition content! I looked it up on their website, and according to the nutrition label on the bag, one serving has 240 calories (so 480 for the entire bag). Additionally, there are 14g of protein in half the bag, so the entire bag would be 28 g of protein too! Hope this helps!

A meal that conjures up memories of sitting around…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I received a sample of this product from the brand or its representatives in exchange for a review. Ate the whole thing!)

Summary

A meal that conjures up memories of sitting around Mom's dining room table at Thanksgiving!

Pros

• Simple preparation
  • Good balance of meat, vegetable, and stuffing
  • Flavorful
  • Adequate two-person serving

Cons

• I did desire a larger helping

E6D83F06-F149-45CD-ACC3-670446E6A14C.jpg

I have used Mountain House products over the years for front and backcountry excursions...and enjoy the variety of meals offered.

I was given this Mountain House Homestyle Turkey Dinner Casserole to try in exchange for a review. I always appreciate being given free food.

I felt the two-serving size did adequately satisfy my wife and I, as we used this meal while camping on our 35th anniversary. I spare no expense.

I have enjoyed many a turkey dinner in my day, but I am not now, nor have I ever been a stuffing guy. However, I did enjoy the blending of flavors and textures within this meal packet. So much so, that I picked up a couple more Homestyle Turkey Dinner Casserole packs, along with several others for an upcoming backcountry trek.

I felt there were enough pieces of turkey and variety of vegetables to produce an enjoyable and flavorful meal.

I'm probably not particularly helpful when describing saltiness or salt content, as I'm usually craving saltier foods after long hikes or bikes.

The aroma did take me back to Thanksgivings past to my Mom's turkey dinners. I'd highly recommend you give this entree a chance!

This really tastes like Thanksgiving!! As a member…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I received a sample of this product from the brand or its representatives in exchange for a review.)

Summary

This really tastes like Thanksgiving!!

Pros

• Taste
  • Ease of making
  • Weight

MVIMG_20180728_210029.jpg

As a member of another website, I am sometimes given products to test in exchange for a review. During one of my last backpacking trips I rewarded myself for the 8+ mile hike into the campground with Mountain House's new 2-Serving Homestyle Turkey Dinner Casserole.

I’ll admit that initially after reading the description I was a little skeptical, however, I think the best way of describing this meal is that it tastes like Thanksgiving!!

The large chucks of turkey and what ends up looking like real stuffing was a very pleasant surprise to this meal. It was well deserved after an 8+ mile hike. The amount of carbs and protein are perfect for that post hike meal. Especially if you eat both servings like I did! Although, I think that a normal couple could easily share the meal.

As my final thought, I would definitely recommend that anyone looking for a meal that tastes home cooked with little effort, you take this one along with you on your next backpacking trip. As it weights less than 4 oz, you’ll be able to bring quite a few!