Mountainsmith Frostfire 65

rated 3.0 of 5 stars

The Frostfire 65 has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best weekend packs for 2020.

Price Reviewers Paid: $279.00

I used this pack last summer on a week long trek in northwest Yosemite National Park. I had previously been using a Gregory Massif which is a great pack but I was curious and so I bought the Mountainsmith. The pack is nice and I really liked the J zip and the bungee on the back. But try as I might I could not get a comfortable fit during the trip. Beleive me I fiddled with all the adjustments day in and day out. I was also dissapointed in the padding on the shoulder straps and the hip belt was not supportive for the weight. Also the lumbar pad was too hard and caused my back to be sore( I have the same problem with my Gregory ).

Fortunatly I was able to return the pack for credit (Just Packs.com. Great service). I know that there are those out there that swear by their Mountainsmith packs but for me it didn't work out.

One more thing, I felt that the quality of the pack was not as good as my Gregory and I don't think that it would hold up as long.

Design: Internal
Size: 6500
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5'10"