Muck Boot Arctic Outpost Lace Mid

photo: Muck Boot Arctic Outpost Lace Mid winter boot

A fully waterproof winter boot with a leather upper. Multi-directional lugs provide excellent grip.

Pros

• Fully waterproof
  • Stylish leather uppers
  • Full midsole for support
  • Flexible neoprene interior
  • Fleece lined

Cons

• No removable liner

Winter conditions become a lot more manageable when wearing a good pair of winter boots. This winter I switched to the Muck Boot Arctic Outpost lace-up mid-height boot after 40 years of wearing a popular Canadian brand, and I couldn't be happier. Having lived in heavy snow country for many years I've gotten used to living in winter boots for months at a time and having a pair that are comfortable and supportive make life a lot easier.

IMG_20180127_135750813_1.jpg

Sizing was spot on and a pair in size 9 fit much more like a standard work boot than a winter boot. The Arctic Outposts feature a molded rubber lower boot and a leather lace-up upper. Metal ringlets and strong laces allow for a tight fit when necessary. The entire boot is lined with a 4mm neoprene waterproof insulation layer that is not only 100% waterproof but molded to my feet. Bonded to the neoprene is soft fleece liner that goes a long way to keeping my feet warm and toasty. The boots are rated down to -20°F and while I haven't tested them down below zero, they have been plenty warm down into the low single digits.

IMG_20180330_122307528_HDR_1.jpg

A full-length midsole provides excellent support and I feel it makes the boot more comfortable than a boot with a removable liner. Rather than clomping around in big winter boots these fit my feet much better when hiking around in the snow or lashed to a pair of snowshoes. The soles provide great traction with some massive multi-directional lugs and have a nice front bumper molded right into the sole.

I especially like the fact that I can put Arctic Outpost boots on by just inserting my foot; the leather uppers are rigid enough to just guide my foot down into the boot. Usually, I leave the laces tied loosely except when walking in deep snow when I would cinch them down around my pants to keep the snow out.

Having a nice leather upper makes these boots appropriate for wearing almost anywhere in the mountain town where I live part-time. Whether I'm shoveling snow, taking a winter hike, or just going out to dinner, these Muck boots fill the bill for me.

The only caveat for these boots is that some may prefer a removable felt liner for drying purposes. I dry them easily in 30-45 minutes using a DryGuy boot dryer that gently dries the boot with heated air flow.

• Sizes: 3-17
  • Colors: Brown/Black, Black/Grey
  • Retail price: $200

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I kept the product after testing.)

Disclosure: The author of this review received a sample of the product from the brand or its representative in exchange for a review.

Your Review