Muck Boot Arctic Outpost Lace Mid

photo: Muck Boot Arctic Outpost Lace Mid winter boot

Price MSRP: $200.00

A fully waterproof winter boot with a leather upper. Multi-directional lugs provide excellent grip.

Pros

• Fully waterproof
  • Stylish leather uppers
  • Full midsole for support
  • Flexible neoprene interior
  • Fleece lined

Cons

• No removable liner

Winter conditions become a lot more manageable when wearing a good pair of winter boots. This winter I switched to the Muck Boot Arctic Outpost lace-up mid-height boot after 40 years of wearing a popular Canadian brand, and I couldn't be happier. Having lived in heavy snow country for many years I've gotten used to living in winter boots for months at a time and having a pair that are comfortable and supportive make life a lot easier.

IMG_20180127_135750813_1.jpg

Sizing was spot on and a pair in size 9 fit much more like a standard work boot than a winter boot. The Arctic Outposts feature a molded rubber lower boot and a leather lace-up upper. Metal ringlets and strong laces allow for a tight fit when necessary. The entire boot is lined with a 4mm neoprene waterproof insulation layer that is not only 100% waterproof but molded to my feet. Bonded to the neoprene is soft fleece liner that goes a long way to keeping my feet warm and toasty. The boots are rated down to -20°F and while I haven't tested them down below zero, they have been plenty warm down into the low single digits.

IMG_20180330_122307528_HDR_1.jpg

A full-length midsole provides excellent support and I feel it makes the boot more comfortable than a boot with a removable liner. Rather than clomping around in big winter boots these fit my feet much better when hiking around in the snow or lashed to a pair of snowshoes. The soles provide great traction with some massive multi-directional lugs and have a nice front bumper molded right into the sole.

I especially like the fact that I can put Arctic Outpost boots on by just inserting my foot; the leather uppers are rigid enough to just guide my foot down into the boot. Usually, I leave the laces tied loosely except when walking in deep snow when I would cinch them down around my pants to keep the snow out.

Having a nice leather upper makes these boots appropriate for wearing almost anywhere in the mountain town where I live part-time. Whether I'm shoveling snow, taking a winter hike, or just going out to dinner, these Muck boots fill the bill for me.

The only caveat for these boots is that some may prefer a removable felt liner for drying purposes. I dry them easily in 30-45 minutes using a DryGuy boot dryer that gently dries the boot with heated air flow.

• Sizes: 3-17
  • Colors: Brown/Black, Black/Grey
  • Retail price: $200

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I kept the product after testing.)

Disclosure: The author of this review received a sample of the product from the brand or its representative in exchange for a review.
Old Guide

I'd love to try these with snowshoes.

300winmag

Thanks for the good review and photos. The real difference with these Muck Boots compared to traditional felt pacs is the their insulation mainly derives from the 4 mm closed cell neoprene. My ancient Sorel felt pacs have a felt liner, the inner layer is polypropylene bonded to the outer layer of traditional wool felt. This is supposed to draw sweat out to the wool felt layer. BUT... in practice I always wear 3 mm seam sealed divers' sox as a VBL (over a pair of thin polyester liner socks). This keeps the felt insulation dry and warm all day. It is this divers' sox VBL that I have used in all my winter use boots including my 4 season GTX Merrill backpacking boots and it always works very well. Eric B.

Steve Mullen INCENTIVIZED REVIEWER

Old Guide, they work great because they fit so much more like a regular boot around the foot.

Steve Mullen INCENTIVIZED REVIEWER

300 winmag, yes you hit the problem of the felt pacs right on the head. I've not had moisture problems with the Muck boots so far.

Old Guide

Thanks Steve. I was wondering how well the snowshoe stayed on.

Review Your Gear to Win Kora Wool Activewear worth $660