Tent Weight 1240g (gray), 1500g (orange, green)
Pegs and Wind Rope Weight 200g
Mat Weight 120g

Cheap, light, resilient; a quality clone of the Big…

Price Paid: £80

Summary

Cheap, light, resilient; a quality clone of the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL2.

Pros

• Cheap
  • Light
  • Proven design

Cons

• Sloping walls
  • Not ultralight
  • Stolen design (ethics)

IMPORTANT MODEL NOTE: I have an older, out-of-production version. The new (current) is about 150 grams heavier, has more pole structure at the rear, a ventilation flap, and mid-fin side guys.

Setup: Very easy, though a little thought is required for a taut pitch.

The basic pitch is inner first: an aluminium pole structure (all-in-one, on a hub) overlaid on the inner, the inner clips to the poles, then a fly is put over. With a pitch or two of experience it is second nature. There is very little one can do wrong, no ambiguous poles for example, but one should remember to attach the bathtub sides to the rain fly.

A footprint is included the rainfly can directly attach into, without the need for the inner tent. This gives the option of a well-ventilated / cool structure. One can use this method to erect outer-first and clip the inner during rain but I have felt this was more effort that it is worth—I pitch in the rain and mop-up afterwards.

My older version is semi-freestanding. After the structure is erect it can be moved around easily like a freestanding, but the rear corners need pegging out else the inside tail of the tents sags. The current version is fully freestanding.

I saved a little weight by getting a Geertop 20D UL footprint. Were I to be buying one today I'd get a sheet of Tyvek.

Stability: If pitched correctly (fin into wind) and taut I have found my version to be very stable, including some howling gale-force winds. If pitched side-on the tent survives, but it flattens during gales.

The current version has extra guys in the middle of each fin to give more side-wind resilience.

Weather Resistance: Has been used in Scottish weather; namely howling, driving, screeching banshee gale-force monsoons. Not a drop of rain has ever entered.

Ventilation: Stuffy on warm and muggy nights not helped by my snow skirt version, I unzipped the front door (but kept it tabbed closed with the velcro) and that helped. On more windy nights (typical, here) everything is fine.

The current has a ventilation window on the rear fin.

Room and Storage: Excellent for one, the centre-ridge head space is good, the vestibule is big enough to store kit. There is a very handy overhead mesh storage basket which I use, and a ceiling hook for a light that I don't use. For two adults with kit, unless those adults snuggled up in the middle, I would find the sloping walls claustrophobic.

Packability: Great. The poles are the same length as the tent bag though I keep them separate whilst out hiking. A compression back would squeeze the package down to about a foot. I found the included footprint a bit bulky so bought a lighter-weight one, Tyvek would be ideal too.

Ease of Use: Very easy, easy up and easy down. A moment should be taken to re-check pegs for a taut and stable pitch but that's just good camping anyway. As said (and seen) there is only one vestibule and it is front-facing, easy for one adult, perhaps not as easy for two.

Features: The biggest feature is the price-to-weight ratio. When I purchased it it was significantly under £100 and under 2kg. I also like the colour. Often when we think of colour we're thinking of what the tent looks like from the outside. However, from the INSIDE the grey give is clear and untinted. I will likely only ever get neutral tents in the future.

Construction & Durability: 20D Sil-Nylon, a light material but has yet to fail. Poles are high-grade aluminium and still going strong. The stiching, zips and seam-sealing is excellent.

Many complain about the pegs bending, but many people also use their feet to press pegs in. I only press in by hand (with a piece of leather in my palm) and no peg has bent for me.

Conditions: Has been used over the last three years, one to three nights at a time, year-round; in heavy wind and rain, and in the cold—but not in blizzards.

VERDICT: A great "one-plus" person tent; that is one adult plus kit / dog / child.

With sloping walls, one door, and one vestibule I don't think this is an ideal tent for two independent adults. They might want to look at two-door two-vestibule options, Naturehike have a range such as Cloud-Peak 2, Star-River 2, and Mongar; and 3F UL with their Lanshan 2, Tipi, etc.

The current version with more structure, side-stability and ventilation has some advantages over my version. Even so I remain delighted with mine and have no intention of replacing it.

But would I buy it again? Perhaps. Though other two-person tents might give more room (structure, vestibules) that also means a larger footprint. When wildcamping it can be advantageous not to be too big. In my price range (i.e. not Zpacks!) the tent of the moment is the 3F UL Lanshan 2, roomy and lightweight. But I see no justification to swap tents for the mere sake of it. I'll keep using this one till it wears out.

PICTURES: Without the dog are March 2017, with the dog October 2019.

NH1.jpg

NH2.jpg

NH3.jpg
NH4.jpg
NH5.jpg

Experience

I have owned this tent for three years and have used it for one to three nights per trip, in all seasons, in Scotland. I have pitched on hills and mountains, in the cold, in the wind and in the rain. Though mine has a snow skirt I have not camped in the snow.

I have been camping for decades, prior to this purchase my tents were large family car-camping/glamping, and cheap festival dome tents. I bought this tent for hiking and wild-camping in Scotland, from beaches and loch fronts to mountainous summit or off-summit camps.

Nice review, Pixie Poo! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with this tent, and some pictures.

Vladimir Gorbunov

It says: TOP 50 IN FOUR-SEASON TENTS
But this is not a 4-season tent...

Thanks, Vladimir. I've updated its category to three-season.

Bob Withrow

Well, it looks a little like buying stolen goods. I've been a BA customer since the days Bill used to answer the company emails. This tent is wrong on so many levels and, I think, so is buying one.

Pixie Poo

Bob, I don't disagree and I put up the ethical note under Cons. But if we start on ethics were do we stop, near-clone designs by respected manufactures? Any respectable company who outsources to China with all their human rights abuses? It's a can of worms.

Vladimir Gorbunov

I'm agreed, there're many tents which look quite similar. But they aren't similar. I've just replaced Fjallraven Abisko Lite 3 to Hilleberg Nallo 3 - some people tend to say that F. steals design from H. (both companies are Swedish), but in fact these tents are very different.

This tent is very cheap priced, but don't let that…

Summary

This tent is very cheap priced, but don't let that fool you in quality. Naturehike makes the best cheap 1-2 man tents for backpacking. They are very light, durable.

Pros

• Very durable and does not produce condensation as long as you follow the instructions on how to set it up.
  • Easy setup
  • Cheap priced

Cons

• Needs to be longer, not a good tent if you are over 6 foot.

I have used the Naturehike Cloud Up 2 for every hiking trip I have ever done. The tent has YKK zippers and does not leak even in a heavy downpour. It comes with very strong aluminium stakes and all the guy lines are reflective so you can see them easily in the dark. It is easily taken down while staying dry.

The tent I have is getting old but still works great, but it's time to retire this tent. I really don't know how to write a review except for my experience with the tent and how it functions with me. I would love to have a new tent and sleeping bag because I've done wore mine out and don't have the money to replace them.

Thanks for reading my review even though I know I'm not going to win because I never do.

Experience

I use the tent on every trip I do and I hike a lot. I've used other name brand tents that have cost more than $200 and they were not as good as the $75 Naturehike.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this tent, Larry. Do you have any pictures of yours in use you'd be willing to show others in your review?