Q&A

Have a question about tents and shelters? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

When it comes to quality/weight versus price, I don't…

Price Paid: £100

Summary

When it comes to quality/weight versus price, I don't think this tent can be beaten. Great for one-person backpacking.

Pros

• Lightweight for its size
  • Adjustable pitching—dependent on conditions
  • Exceptional quality for the price
  • Uses trekking poles instead of tent poles

Cons

• A few things need adjustment from the "as supplied" condition
  • Supplied pegs not that great
  • Line locks a bit fiddly to adjust

First, some housekeeping. There are one or two minor thing which need adjustment form the "as supplied" condition which will make your life a lot easier before you take it out on a trip:

1) You'll need to seal the areas where the guy lines attach as they've been taped and then stitched through. Sealing otherwise looks good.

2) The adjustable straps at the peg points were threaded backwards on mine so I had to change that before pitching it to ensure they held tension and allowed adustment.

I've taken this tent out for a spin three times now, one test run in my back garden, one in fairly calm conditions with a bit of rain, and one this weekend in the middle of Storm Callum (even though I got quite a sheltered spot, the wind was still whipping around a bit). Performed brilliantly every time, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it stood up to storm conditions with heavy rain.

Weight:

Weights on my scales..

Used stuff (a couple of outings):

• Outer and 3 season inner tent in the stuff sack supplied (no pegs) - 1130g
  • Supplied pegs - 8x 10g
  • Supplied peg bag - 9g
  • Additional guys - 25g
  • 3 season inner tent on its own (after some use) - 485g

Brand new extras I've bought but haven't taken out yet:

• 4 season inner tent (not in 10g mesh sack) - 465g ... Maybe I need to clean the other one!
  • Lanshan 2 silnylon footprint (not in 10g stuff sack) - 152g

Setup/Stability:

No footprint is supplied with it but you can get a silnylon footprint specifically for it (which I have ordered but only arrived today). Both times I have taken it in to the big bad world I have used a cheap polythene sheet underneath the tent with faultless results. As others have said, watching a few videos of people pitching it and having a go before you take it out is essential, but after a few gos I now have it down to a tee.

There are many ways to go about it, but I peg out all four corners and then insert the trekking poles, then adjust once it's up. Worth remembering that silnylon stretches a bit over time, so always worth tightening things up before bed.

I tend to put the inner tent inside it after pitching the fly (because it was probably raining last time... that's the UK for you!) but it can be taken down with the inner attached if decamping in dry conditions. It could be used without the inner as a tarp, and I think you could probably set it up without the fly sheet if you want to stargaze in the summer, using the extra guys supplied with the tent.

I've seen a few people who aren't keen on the big gap between the fly and the ground when the poles are set at the recommended 125cm. I'm not normally too bothered by this but could definitely see it as a problem when the wind gets up. For that reason, when I pitched it in Storm Callum I set the poles at about 115cm which got the fly pretty close to the ground. This adjustability is great! The tent stayed very stable through relatively windy conditions (although I was sheltered from the full force of the wind). I am confident it could take more of a battering than it had!

Taking the tent down in rain was straightforward, working from the inside out. With a bit of wriggling you can remove the inner tent and fold it up/stuff it in the sack whilst inside it, whilst all your gear remains sheltered under the fly sheet.

Weather Resistance:

I did my research with this one seeing as it seemed "too good to be true" for the price. I went ahead and sealed the guy attachment points with Silnet as mentioned above as I had seen in some videos and other reviews. I've had two wet trips, one with very heavy persistent rain, and zero leaks. The seams are generally well stitched and taped. The points where the poles go in are reinforced and seem well constructed.

Ventilation:

This is very customisable as you have two doors/vestibules. At each side you can either have it half-open or roll back both sides of the door to open the whole thing up. The supplied 3-season inner tent is mainly mesh though, so if you value your privacy you might not want to open it fully (there is also a 4-season inner tent which I have just bought for colder conditions, but that has more of the nylon material rather than mesh which gives you more privacy). Generally it's quite airy with poles at 125cm.

In storm conditions ventilation is reduced as you pitch it closer to the ground. Where it was wet and pretty warm, I did wake up with a little bit of condensation on my sleeping bag but it wasn't enough to be worried about (plus I had cooked dinner in the vestibule the previous night and made a brew that morning). I daresay that even the most expensive tents would suffer a similar fate in those conditions..

Room & Storage:

Bags of room for one person to comfortably have all your gear and backpack inside the inner tent. I am 6 foot tall and I fit, albeit only just. I imagine it being a squeeze for anyone taller. The bathtub is 210x110cm and about 10-15cm high around the edges.

A mesh pocket at each end to stash bits, and loops each side of the apex to attach a line across the top so you can hang stuff in some attempt to dry it if you so choose. Good size vestibules on each side give extra space if needed, also handy for boiling a bit of water in bad conditions.

Packability:

Stashes in the supplied stuff sack with ease (I roll up the inner and then stuff the fly in when it's dry) and packs down to a small size (I'd guess about 15cm diameter x 30cm long). The sack is not waterproof though so be aware of that. I'm considering buying a new dry bag for it but at the moment I just keep the inner in the supplied sack and stuff the fly sheet in the mesh pocket on the outside of my pack if it's wet.

Ease of Use:

The only thing I can really complain about is the line locks. Maybe it's just me but I find them quite tricky and fiddly to quickly adjust. It's a fairly minor gripe though in the grand scheme of things; I can always replace them if they continue to annoy me. As already stated, pitching is a bit of a learning process but actually very straightforward once you get your head around it and have done it a couple of times.

The supplied pegs look the part and are lightweight, but I found they didn't hold well in softer ground and whenever I put some tension in to the tent they kept pulling out. That's a recipe for a hole in your tent if you've already attached the elastic bathtub ground sheet thingys. I have replaced six of them with some titanium V-shaped pegs which work great (I went with Toaks, but they all look much of a muchness) and use two of the supplied pegs for the side guy lines (NOT the ones pulling out the poles).

Features:

Other than stuff I've already mentioned, the guy lines have a reflective fibre weaved in to the line which lights up fantastically under torch light. The guy attachment points and the peg points all light up nicely too.

Construction and Durability:

A bit early for me to comment on durability, but the construction looks very good and a nice surprise for the price. I think only human error or an accident will break this tent anytime soon but I will try to remember to update this review after giving it some more hammer.

Conclusion:

Unless you are over 6 feet tall, if you are considering it, stop faffing and just buy this tent. You'll have to spend a hell of a lot more to get anything better.

Jake W

Awesome review Jeff! I might suggest adding the weight somewhere within the review as you mention it as a Pro (unless I missed it in there somewhere).

FlipNC

If you don't mind buying Chinese knockoffs of US products this could be a good deal. I will be interested to see if one a third of the price holds up as long or of you end up buying three of them...not knocking your review just a skeptic.

1 month ago

Great review, Jeff. I hope you'll keep us updated on how it continues to hold up for you.

Jeff E

Nothing wrong with being a skeptic Phil! I can't knock the quality but durability is often a sacrifice with lightweight gear either way so time will tell. I'll try and remember to update the review after some more outings, and I'll add the weights as requested :)

FlipNC

Just my nature! You weren't in Wales or the Western Highlands during storm Callum were you? By the way, that was an excellent review despite my reservations.

Jeff E

Thanks :) I was out in the Peak District staying in Edale. I think we avoided the worst of it there to be honest but still conditions were far from great - very wet and pretty windy.. The main reason for my trip was to test some gear out so put it all through its paces pretty well!

300winmag

Good price for the features. Thanks for bringing this to the attention of we "Colonists" since it is a Chinese tent. My preference for a 2 person pole-supported tent is the Tarptent Stratospire 2. But it's more than 2X the price of this Lanshan but "Made in USA" with great quality and customer service.

The 3F Ul Gear Lanshan 2 is a two-man, double wall…

Price Paid: $130 CND including delivery

Summary

The 3F Ul Gear Lanshan 2 is a two-man, double wall trekking pole tent. It has many features, construction, and materials as tents twice its cost.

Pros

• Light
  • Cheap
  • Easy to set up

Cons

• Needs some seam sealing
  • Size

20150101_002122A.jpg
The Lanshan 2 is a two-man, double wall tent made in China and is available on Aliexpress.com. Shipping to Canada was fairly fast at 19 days from date of order to in my hands. The inner tent and outer fly can be set up independent of each other depending on weather and bug conditions. You'll need two trekking poles to set the tent up.

The first time I set it up, instructions are not supplied but there are a number of videos on YouTube showing setup, it took approximately five minutes and was fairly straight forward. Eight stakes are supplied and all necessary guy lines. The stakes are on the short side and will be swapped out for something a little longer the next time I take it out.

20180523_081502.jpg
One night it rained for 16 hours and winds got quite strong, one of the corner stakes pulled out of the ground but the tent took the storm very well. It is very adjustable as far as pitching it goes, so getting it close to the ground for inclement weather is not a problem, as is raising it up for better ventilation in hotter weather.

20180514_190159.jpg

It is sold as a two-man tent and at 110 cm X 210 cm (43" X 83") it will fit two full size sleep pads, but it would be a tight fit. I found for me and my restlessness it was the perfect size for one. The height is somewhat adjustable but I set the two trekking poles at 125 cm (49") for a nice tight pitch, which easily gave me enough room to sit up comfortable during some of that 16 hour rain storm.

It weighs in with pegs, compression sack, extra guy lines, and two, what I assume are patches but don't match any of the tent's fabric, at 1150 g or 40 1/2 oz. and is a little larger than a 1.5 l water bottle.

20180312_202618.jpg

With doors on each side getting a cross breeze is also possible, they also make getting in and out easy and two good sized vestibules are great for storing gear or cooking, with an appropriate stove of course (I won't be trying it with my MSR DragonFly).
20180515_083205.jpg

It has a hook on each side, that could be used for a clothesline or hanging a light, as well as two mesh pockets on each end to store glasses, a phone or midnight snacks (not suggested in bear country). It is constructed from a 15 D Nylon for the fly and a 20 D nylon for the bathtub floor. Double zippers on the mesh doors and adjusters and tension locks on all the guy out points all seem well made and thought out.

All seams are taped and all guy out points reinforced, where it needs seam sealing is on the guy out points in the middle of the fly, though the amount of water that got in was very minimal (less than 30 ml or an ounce, over 16 hours of continual, at times heavy, rain).
20180514_190652.jpg
20180514_190712.jpg

The price point is a real bargain for what seems a solid, lightweight, versatile tent. For someone like myself that changes sleep systems depending on locations it adds, without spending a ton of money, another option to go with my hammock, bivy, or tarp setups.

Thanks for the info, Ross.

JRinGeorgia

Thanks Ross. This looks to be similar to the Six Moon Designs Haven tarp + inner. This Lanshan has a shorter floor by about 5" which would concern me -- do your toes hit the foot-end panel when lying in it? And how tall are you? Compared to the Haven this also is a little heavier, and it looks like the bathtub floor walls aren't as high. But, also compared to the Haven, this is half the price. Good find!

Ross Tapp

JRinGeorgia, I'm 5'11" and have more than enough length, the bathtub floor is about 4" at the doors and maybe an 1 1/2" higher on the ends

FlipNC

Nice review Ross...I missed this when it was first posted.

Held up during a huge thunderstorm. I stayed 100%…

Summary

Held up during a huge thunderstorm. I stayed 100% dry. The quality went way beyond what I was expecting for the price.

• Uses trekking poles
  • Price
  • Quality

Cons

• A bit of a learning curve on how to set up. I had to watch several videos on YouTube to finally get it right.
  • Took a few weeks to get here.
  • Putting back in bag was a little challenging.

First, I am cheap. Well, frugal. I really wanted a Zpack Duplex, but I could not make myself rationalize enough to spend that much. Enter Aliexpress. I know, I know. Direct from China. It did take three weeks to get here. However, from the reviews I saw on YouTube I figured the $100 for the tent would be worth it.

Well, I could not be more pleased. I have only camped in it one time, but it was a heck of a campout. If ever there was a time to test a tent it was during a bad storm. We had torrential downpours all night long. My cousin also bought the same tent. Both of us stayed completely dry. I really expected to find a little puddling in the corners. There was none.

Setup:

Not gonna lie. There is a learning curve on this one. At least for me. I am used to the tents that have a couple of poles and go up with relative ease. This one took a bit of trial and error...even with all the YouTube videos out there. I have now set it up four times and it gets easier each time. I have found you get one side done first and then move to the other side and then adjust when it's all up is the easiest way.

Stability:

Was great during the storm and high winds.

Weather Resistance:

I think it did great. There was what felt like a bit of a mist at times across my face. I first thought that there was a leak but had zero water on the inside in the morning. Possible condensation? Maybe. I think possibly coming up from the bottom of the fly during the hard winds. But, like I said, the tent was dry on the inside in the morning.

Ventilation:

See above. Overall good.

Room and Storage:

Plenty of room. I got the two-person because one-person tents just don't have enough room for me and my pack. I am 5'11" and had plenty of room to spare.

Packability:

It's a good size. Not too big. It was a little difficult getting it all folded back up and in the sack. But no more than any other camping tent.

Ease of Use:

Easy once you figure it out.

IMG_1060-2.jpg

Great review, Lori! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with this tent and some pictures.

300winmag

Interesting tent, decent design. Good review.

300winmag

"MIST-THRU" from rain may have been what you experienced due to the factory's insufficient silicon coating on the fly. HERE IS THE SOLUTION: MATERIELS->1. can of odorless mineral spirits >2. tube of clear GE silicon caulk (& caulk gun) >3. one pint mixing jar - recycled plastic jar (W/LID!) >4. one 6" low knapp paint roller >5. small roller tray >6. roll of heavy duty shop towels (NOT white "Bounty style towels - too much paper lint) PROCEDURE: 1. mix a 5:1 ratio (by volume) of 5 parts odorless mineral spirits to 1 part GE clear silicone caulk in plastic jar by shaking VERY well & repeat shaking every 5 minutes while using it. 2. pour mix into small paint roller tray 3. roll mix on to a two foot by two foot area of the fly WHEN THE TENT IS SET UP VERY TAUTLY. 4. wipe this section with blue paper towel to create a thin layer of the mix. 5. repeat all over fly (and later the exterior of the floor) to add a much greater "hydrostatic head" (waterproofness) to the fly and floor. **Floors are best done with small table inside tent to give floor exterior a flat and smooth surface. Move floor over table top as needed.

Lightweight and huge as a one-person tent. I am a…

Price Paid: $105 shipped 14 days to receive.

Summary

Lightweight and huge as a one-person tent.

Pros

• Lightweight 39 oz.
  • Large two-person interior and vestibules
  • VERY WELL constructed
  • Superior sewing and components

Cons

• None I can find

lanshan2.jpg
lanshan-2-night.jpg
I am a 62-year-old male diagnosed 14 months ago with Congestive Heart Failure and a plethora of ''other'' heart problems. I decided to go backpacking again after a 43-year hiatus and wanted ultralight gear at a (I am on Social Security now) price I could afford.

Six weeks after deciding to backpack again I am planning my third trip. With all that intro out of the way this is a GREAT TENT. 2.5 pounds with bags and a joy to pack, setup and live in. I find no fault at all in value ($105 SHIPPED), SEWING AND MATERIALS USED.

IF, and I mean IF I really wanted a better/lighter tent...I would buy the Zpacks Duplex...other than that...this tent is a keeper.

Welcome to Trailspace, Mark! I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, but hope you are enjoying backpacking again.

MARK C ANDERSON