Omega Pacific Mountain Axe

Price MSRP: $67.95
Current Retail: $62.96
Historic Range: $39.95-$63.50
Reviewers Paid: $50.00-$60.00

I like this axe. I have used it on self-arrest practice and to climb steep, hard spring snowfields, no serious mountaineering though.

It bites into the ice when I slip and cuts nice foot holds for the kids when I want it to. The point, I noticed, has a positive angle. The books say this isn't ideal and I may adjust it some with a grinder but the issue hasn't come up for me. As far as an axe is concerned, it does the job.

I wrapped the head with athletic tape near the handle to save on my gloves after I saw an old mountaineer do the same to his. I know that this axe is considered inferior to more expensive ones but I can't see why. For a beginning mountaineer like me it does just fine.

Very sturdy ice axe. I bought the 80CM one to use as a cane in moderate to steep climbing. I sharpened the spike and pick with a file, that's the only modification I made. I may put some friction tape on the handle, I have done that on my other axes, and it helps.

I have a Black Diamond ice axe and this one compares favorably. I am very happy with my purchase.

Review Your Gear to Win Kora Wool Activewear worth $660