Turm Sport Stove

The Turm Sport Stove has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best alcohol stoves for 2022.

photo:   Turm Sport Stove alcohol stove

Price Reviewers Paid: $5.00

rated 5.0 of 5 stars average rating

or

I bought this stove used from a friend in 1971. He bought a brass Svea gas stove. I would usually have finished my meal (usually just a matter of boiling water) before he got the Svea lit. It seems to take no time to boil a half liter of water.

I have used this long discontinued little stove on many backpacking, hiking, and hunting trips, as well as just boiling water for coffee at my picnic table at home over the years without any difficulties.

Pros

• Reliability
  • Simplicity
  • Fast boil time

Cons

• A bit heavy
  • Denatured alcohol fuel seems to get stale if stored for long periods of time

at-a-boil-009.jpgat-a-boil-008.jpgat-a-boil-013.jpg
at-a-boil-001.jpg
I took these pictures today and I think the generator needs a rebuilding as it was a bit slow on the boil today.

But it could just be weak (OLD) alcohol as it's several years old.

This little stove is simple. You open it, flip the grates up, release a small amount of alcohol into the pan, light it, and in 15 seconds it's burning a very hot blue flame—no smoke, no soot, a clean burning little stove.

It boils a half liter of water very fast. Like I said in the summary, I purchased it used  from my best friend when a salesman talked him into buying a Svea. I always was finished with my meal by the time he got the Svea lit.

The stove folds into a neat little four by seven inch (approximate) box that fit perfectly in a side pocket of my pack. I do wish it was still available. Perhaps in titanium alloy, although the brass and steel construction is a bit heavy I have never felt encumbered by the few ounces of additional weight, although I know some are.

I don't do any long trips now days. A couple of days at a time is enough for me.

In 45 years this stove has never failed me. I have even used it to melt lead for casting bullets while I was shooting in pistol competitions.

I have other stoves but always end up going back to the Turm Sport.

Source: bought it used