Outdoor Products Essential Carry-On

I have had this bag for 10 years and I endorse Larry's…

Source: received it as a personal gift

I have had this bag for 10 years and I endorse Larry's entire review. My OPEC bag has been super.

Sadly I lost it four weeks ago.

rt

The Essential Carryon is just what its name implies,…

Design: Convertible travel carryon/frameless rucksack
Size: 2000 c.i.
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 25 lbs.

The Essential Carryon is just what its name implies, a maximum-legal-size airline carry-on bag, with one large zipped compartment to make the most efficient use of space available. Normally it's carried by its handle or detachable shoulder strap, but behind a zipper lies a pair of padded shoulder straps to (voila!) convert the bag into a frameless rucksack. And no wheels, metal extension handles, or other geezer garbage to take up space and add weight.

If you aren't planning to backpack with a sleeping bag, and know how to travel ultralight, this may be all the luggage you need! It's just the thing for trooping around on day hikes in foreign lands, without having to risk your belongings to the sticky hands examining your checked bags in your absence.

The EC is strongly constructed and equivalent in quality as far I can tell with its much more expensive rivals, although I did replace the cheap-looking nylon hooks attaching the bottom of my shoulder straps with aluminum carabiners as a just-in-case measure.