REI Flexlite Air Chair

Seat Height 11 in
Weight Capacity 250 lbs
Seat Material Ripstop nylon, bluesign approved
Frame Construction Aluminum

A great lightweight luxury item

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Lightweight for its benefits
  • Quick setup and take down

Cons

• Legs can sink in soft ground
  • A bit bulky
  • Adds a pound
  • Not inexpensive

I have not carried the extra weight of a chair until now, opting for available logs, boulders, ground, and bear can (when carried) as a seat. However, after sampling a friend's Helinox Chair Zero on a weeklong backpack this summer, I decided to go for it and get one for myself. I ended up getting the REI Flexlite Air. It was less expensive (helps when it's on sale too) and was similar to but about an ounce lighter. Comfort and fit for me are very similar.

Like most available chairs of this type, it only adds about a pound to your load, and with its shock-corded and hubbed frame system, sets up/down quickly. The nylon seat attaches easily.

Unless the ground is firm, the legs can sink a bit into soft ground or sand. Although is a bit bulky in its storage sack, it's not too bad.

Stool designs are available and may even be lighter, but the option to lean back into the chair was the selling point. Provides nice rest at the end of a long day on the trail, or to use even at a nice lunch spot.

I stumbled into a useful (and pretty detailed) comparison of the two chairs that helped me understand the differences, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKJStXLZ3d0

Glad I made the leap!

P1000482.jpg

Experience

This is my first backpacking camp chair, used for one season in Washington's Olympics and Cascades.

Price Paid: $65 on sale

Thanks for the review and recommendation, alpine1. Do you have any pictures of your chair you could show others in your review?

Thanks!

My chair broke. REI provides no resources for parts or repair of this chair.

Pros

• Small and light

Cons

• Expensive
  • Breaks
  • No parts or service provided

I have one of these chairs with a broken joint. I weigh 157 lbs, and it was not being misused when it broke. REI wouldn't help with the part or repair. I was given the oversea distributor's info, but no one replied.

This is an expensive chair to be an unreliable throwaway. For a company like REI that pushes sustainability, this item does not reflect their own standards.

Hi Robert, I noticed you previously reviewed the REI Flexlite Chair with similar comments. Do you have both chair models or just one version that broke?

Robert

It's the same chair and construction. Just a new mesh, and $20 more expensive.

Thanks, Robert. Do you own both or just one version?