Ronhill Trackster Classic

photo: Ronhill Trackster Classic performance pant/tight

The iconic product, which still works, after all these years. Super-light, stretchy, tough, comfy, versatile, and easy to care for. Extensively copied, but still relevant.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Protection
  • Durability
  • Versatility
  • Zero restrictions

Cons

• One tiny pocket
  • Not waterproof (you can't have everything)

Ron Hill was an English long-distance runner, in an era when all athletes wore cotton. Best known, to US readers, as the first British winner of the Boston Marathon (1970), he pioneered carbo loading, redesigned shoes and clothing, and used his academic background as a Textile Chemist to shift the entire paradigm of sportswear, to make it less restrictive and thus, more efficient.

I've been wearing Trackster tights since the 1980s. They're light—almost filmy—crazy-stretchy, wind resistant and bug-resistant, for those days, when shorts would be a bad idea. Made of what they called nylon, when they were manufactured in England, and polyester, now they are made in China, and with a drawstring to hold them up, Tracksters are much tougher than they look. They work, not just for running but for walks, cycle rides, and for a thousand other pursuits.

They wash easily and dry quickly. I've walked long distance trails in them, worn them as a thermal mid-layer, commuted, mountain biked, rock climbed, and canoed. They have heel loops—I cut them off—and a tiny pocket in the waistband for your keys and cards.

I prefer pants without pockets and as little restriction as possible. I sometimes roll up the legs to below the knee. Tracksters offer wind protection and warmth with a minimal weight penalty. They're so versatile, I've always thrown a pair into my overnight bag and keep a pair in the car, for unseen events and trouser emergencies;-) Still inexpensive and the design is virtually unchanged, for good reason. An absolute design classic.

Experience

Forty years. Everywhere I've ever been:-)

Ron Hill held the British marathon record for nearly 50 years and ran at least a mile, every day, for 52 years. Makes my daily walk streak look a bit pathetic;-)

Price Paid: £15

Thanks for the interesting review and history lesson, Lester! I'm intrigued by these, though I'm not sure about the stirrups for running...

Lester M

Thanks, Alicia. I have an early memory, of watching Hill compete in the Marathon, at the Tokyo Olympics, in 1964. He was wearing a mesh vest, when all the other competitors wore traditional cotton ones. Always the innovator. As I mentioned, I dislike the stirrups and cut them off my Tracksters. I have skinny hips and have enough trouble as it is, keeping my clothes in place;-)

It's an interesting bit of running clothing history I didn't know, and I'm glad to learn it!