So many great features combined into one awesome pair…
Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Royal Robbins and Trailspace)
So many great features combined into one awesome pair of shorts. The Royal Robbins Traveler Stretch Shorts are now my go-to shorts for numerous activities.
- Fast drying
- Wrinkle resistant
- Velcro closures
- Not made in USA
I received these shorts, along with several other items, as a prize for being Trailspace's “Reviewer of the Month”.
One of the first things that I noticed when I first started inspecting these shorts was the quality. They are well made and have great stitching. Stylish enough to pair with a nice shirt and wear out in town and versatile enough to take on a weekend backpacking trip. The feel was unique as well. Soft and light to the touch with a bit of stretch.
I have now had these shorts for about a month. I will not scare you and say how many times I have worn them, but it has been a lot! Mostly out to places like the grocery, restaurants, etc...
- Total Weight: 8.7 ounces (my scale)
- Material: 5 oz., 96% Nylon, 4% Spandex
- Size: 32 inch waist / 10 inch inseam (Other sizes available - Waist: 30-42 inch /Inseam: 10 or 8 inch)
- Color: Burro (Other colors available – Charcoal, Lt. Khaki)
- Contemporary Fit
- 6 Pockets
- I am 5’11’’, 155 Pounds, Thin Build
- Fast Drying: I have only had a few water spots on these shorts. Those did dry quickly. I plan on swimming in them on my next camping trip.
- Ultraviolet protection: UPF 50+
- Wrinkle Resistant: After sleeping in them for a night they still look great!
- Stretch: The stretch is nice. You can feel it a bit in the waist and thigh area at times. Increases the comfort and range of motion.
- Mesh Pockets: I have had keys, change, and other miscellaneous items in my pockets. Nothing seems to snag and I have no holes in any pocket. There are 2 front pockets, 2 back pockets (right one is zippered), a fifth pocket above the right hand pocket and a small zippered pocket on the right thigh.
- Lightweight: The pair I have weighs in at 8.7 ounces. Are there lighter shorts out there? Sure. But I doubt they will be as well made, comfortable, and stylish as these.
The fit is spot on. I ordered a size 32-inch waist with a 10-inch inseam. Usually, when I shop for shorts or pants, I end up with a 32-inch waist size. Some are a bit loose, some are a bit snug, but it is usually the size I get no matter the manufacturer.
I could easily wear these without a belt and with no shirt tucked in. They are a bit loose like this but not falling off of me. I wear a belt with everything so these are no different. The stretch of the shorts allows for a tucked in shirt without any problem.
The 10-inch inseam comes just above my knee when standing and rides up to my mid/lower thigh when sitting. They are a bit loose around the knees but this has not been a problem for me. I do tend to wear my shorts lower on the waist then some other people.
Royal Robbins nailed it! The cut, the sizing, the fit, the materials. All of it makes for a really comfortable pair of shorts. I wear them all the time and have not experienced any chaffing, rubbing, or other problems around the waist and thighs.
All three zippers slide very smooth and do not snag or get hung up. Of course they all work best if you can hold the opposite side of the zipper while operating. This small amount of resistance makes for optimal operating conditions. Anyone who has ever worked a zipper I am sure already knows this.
The waist is secured with a snap button that works as it should. It does not seem to be tough to operate and is still holding strong.
The two hand pockets on the front are large enough for my smartphone (iPhone 6) with room to spare. The cut of the front pockets is something I was very pleased with. It makes getting in the pockets super easy and the opening is wide enough to not be an issue.
Both back pockets are large enough for most wallets and phones. The right side back pocket has a zippered closure while the left has a small Velcro piece in the center of the top to keep it closed. Personally I would have not used the Velcro and gone with a closure that matched the right side.
The fifth pocket above the right hand pocket is large enough for something like lip balm, gum, or a lighter. It too is held secure with a small square of Velcro.
My favorite pocket is the small zippered pocket on the lower right thigh. It holds my small money clip with a few cards and cash in it, but is large enough for most cell phones. Kind of hard to tell it is there with the flap that covers the zipper, which is a feature I like.
These shorts are great! They have more than enough features than a simple man like me can ask for. I have had a couple of compliments while wearing them and I think they look sharp! I am not a big fan of the Velcro closures and the price tag is a bit high but I would buy and recommend these shorts. I think they work great for traveling and provide the function and comfort consumers are looking for.
Now, more photos....