Sierra Designs Hurricane Parka

rated 3.00 of 5 stars

The Hurricane Parka has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best waterproof jackets for 2021.

photo: Sierra Designs Hurricane Parka waterproof jacket

Men's
Price Historic Range: $12.80-$60.00
Reviewers Paid: $45.00-$72.00
Women's
Price Historic Range: $14.56-$59.95
Kids'
Price Historic Range: $13.49-$49.95

Works about as well as a garbage bag with arm holes cut into it.

Pros

• Cheap

Cons

• Cheap and you get what you pay for

I bought this parka because it was cheap, and that's what I got — a cheap parka. Doesn't breathe, wets out quickly, and the interior feels damp after a short time in the rain. Fit is baggy which seems to be typical of SD's tailoring (all over the map with little consistency).

There's a reason SD radically changes their lineup from year to year: they just can't get it right. Rather than buy their mediocre gear every year, I've decided to buy good stuff (North Face, Mtn Hardwear, Outdoor Research) that lasts years. There's really no comparison. The serious manufacturers simply blow SD out of the water on all fronts.

Save up for a real parka that really breathes and is really waterproof and that will last for years, instead of wasting your money on what amounts to a single season disposable parka.

I took this poncho fishing with my dad in early Sept. It was a nice breezy day that quickly turned into rain! The Poncho performed well! And I stayed bone dry while gunning the boat back to the dock.

I've taken it up with me a few times into the mountains too! And it's super light! I recommend it as a good backup poncho.

-pirate

MSR Guardian Gravity Purifier Review

Balega Ultralight Crew Review

Sierra Designs Lookout CD Review

Overnight on Coburn Mountain, ME, 23-24 July 2021

Car Camping Gear First Impressions, and bears!