Stoic Merino Comp Shirt - Long Sleeve

The Stoic Merino Comp Shirt is a comfortable shirt…

Summary

The Stoic Merino Comp Shirt is a comfortable shirt that wicks moisture extremely well. It keeps you warm or cool as needed. The fabric has the right amount of stretch, and it's machine washable.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Warmth
  • Moisture wicking properties

Cons

• Sleeves are very long
  • No thumbholes

This has been my go-to shirt for snowshoeing over the past three winters. With a silkweight base layer underneath it and a wind and rain shell on top I'm comfortable snowshoeing in temps around -10°F because my sweat isn't making me cold.

Wearing just this shirt while out hiking around a cedar swamp with temps in the low 30s, I actually had to pull my sleeves up to ventilate. This is a great upgrade from the military ECWCS polypro I'd been wearing for a long time. Plus, I can go a whole week without having to wash it!

It does fit a little loosely, the size chart said I should wear a 2XL but I think an XL would have been better. The arms are long and loose, the torso fits snugly like stretchy fabric does, but isn't constricting in any way. The flat seams eliminate chafing, and the tag is at the side of the waist instead of the semi-turtleneck collar for the same reason.

I always have a small Camelbak pack when I hike or snowshoe, and the shirt's fabric hasn't started to wear through after three years. It retains its shape well, can be machine washed (no machine drying) and air dries quickly. I wish it had thumbholes, the sleeves are certainly long enough. Maybe I'll bring it to a tailor or dry cleaner and have it done.

To the best of my knowledge these shirts are no longer available, but if the rest of Stoic's Merino wool gear is as good as this I recommend picking some up. It's on the expensive side but worth it.