The North Face Chilkat - Men's

rated 1.0 of 5 stars (30)

The Men's Chilkat has been discontinued. It was replaced by The North Face Chilkat III.

photo: The North Face Men's Chilkat winter boot

Price Historic Range: $15.06-$100.00
Reviewers Paid: $45.00-$300.00

Junk. Cracked after less than 20 uses in normal condition. Never buying North Face again.

Pros

• None

Cons

• Everything

CFoUqAu.jpg
kCClHS3.jpg

Welcome to Trailspace, Jon. Too bad about your boots coming apart. Did you try contacting The North Face for help?

g00se

Ugh! Sorry to hear about this, Jon. Thanks for the pics!

Like everyone else on here I kept my boots indoors in the dry, went to use them today and the rubberised part had completely split apart! Only ever wore these six times. Total crap to put such poor quality into what is otherwise a good boot.

Pros

• None - unuseable

Cons

• They fall apart

Poor poor poor

Price Paid: £85

North Face boots simply failed miserably! The failure is totally unacceptable. DO NOT BUY NORTH FACE PRODUCTS! They cannot be trusted.

Pros

• Garbage

Cons

• Still garbage

20191230_114713.jpg
20191230_114729.jpg
20191230_114839.jpg
I can add to the simply horrible product that has the usually trusted name "North Face" on their boots. Mine failed catastrophically as others with cracks throughout the "rubber". At first I loved these boots as many others have stated. But the failure is totally unacceptable.

DO NOT BUY NORTH FACE PRODUCTS! They cannot be trusted.

Experience

I've never experienced this type of failure on any (!) boot I've ever purchased.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these TNF boots, Michael. I hope you find something that works out better.

They fall apart for no reason.

Boot-1.jpg

Boot-2.jpg

I have worn these boots maybe a total of 20 times. The other day while hiking in cold conditions they completely disintegrated and fell apart.

Be aware...North Face ignores design faults. My love of their products has gone.

Pros

• Look good

Cons

• Design fault with no customer service to back up. Never had a response from The North Face in years. It still bugs me.

These were bought purely as I had MS. They were excellent to keep my feet warm. I had the coat which was great. They split within 16 weeks. Our thick woollen lounge carpet is not exactly rough terrain! A design fault clearly ignored.

God knows what you would do if North Face boots had split on the mountain. Really, sadly, not worth the risk. I am one of many that have had this happen. They try to put the blame on the buyer. They never even got damp, wet etc. They were in the same room at the temperature 24/7.

Experience

Shocking design fault ignored by The North Face.

Price Paid: £154

Thanks for sharing your experience with these boots. That must have been very disappointing, Shane. Were your boots one of the Chilkat models? https://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/chilkat/

1 year ago

I live and work in Yosemite National Park. Our employee uniform shop routinely sells these Chillkat boots, and yes, from experience they do run 1-2 sizes smaller than normal! I wear a men's 7; I had to get a 9 to fit comfortably and snug on me.

They are comfortable, at first, but here is one HUGE problem—they leak! See more below...

Pros

• Nice design
  • Fit pretty well
  • Good upper design
  • Laces are good quality and stay tied snug on you

Cons

• They leak and your feet will freeze within a few minutes! Absolutely worthless when you are working and depending on your feet staying dry and warm.

My rubber uppers haven't broken apart yet, but we are in deep snow all the time working, and I couldn't figure out why my feet were so cold and then numb at the end of my shift. I took them off, and was sopped! I cannot determine where my boots are leaking, just seems generally on the lower seam above the foot tread somewhere. And BOTH feet are soaked. Very POOR, North Face!

North Face is not really North Face anymore anyway, like all the others now, they are just branding used for cheap, Chinese products now. Based on other reviews, I won't even both with a warranty claim (even though they are brand new, 1-month old)...just know I will never buy another North Face logo'ed product, EVER.

Price Paid: $50, through our Employee Uniform Shop

Not durable!

Pros

• Relatively comfortable and warm

Cons

• Not durable considering I didn't use them very often.

Pretty comfortable boots, but I wore them maybe twice a year for five years, and then last night the rubber portion broke away from the leather just like these other reviewers experienced. I'll order new boots from someone else next time.

Experience

I've owned several pairs of hiking boots through the years. Never had a pair break across the top like this.

Good luck finding some better boots, Scott! https://www.trailspace.com/gear/winter-boots/

whomeworry

Alas, most - if not all - modern welt-less boots with glue-on soles will have their soles separate or crumble away from the boot body after about five years, regardless of the amount they are used. This has occurred to me with several reputable brands. It seems the life time of these boots is X number of miles OR X number of years since purchase, regardless of amount of use. It is what it is...

1 year ago

I had the same problem others have written about. I had very, very little use on my boots and went hunting, and after walking a couple hundred yards the entire boot completely came apart. The rubber split and cracked away, and the glue holding the rest of the boot to the rubber portion tore away from the base of the boot.

I probably had walked less than five miles over time in these boots—and stored them in a completely dry and temperature controlled closet in my house.

In my opinion, these boots definitely had serious design flaws from the beginning. Wow, considering what North Face charges, you would think they would stand behind their products...but it appears from others posts, they don't care.

Cons

• Horrible, horrible design
  • Crappy materials chosen for a high end boot. (I would expect this from a Chinese boot, but didn't expect it from North Face. Maybe they outsourced? Who knows.)

Construction and Materials: Worst I have ever seen in a boot. Junk!

Price Paid: $100 plus

My boots also cracked, although mine are more than 10 years old. My fave part to this boot was the click strap instead of laces. Does anyone else know a boot style like this?

Pros

• Comfy
  • No laces to ice up

Cons

• Rubber upper cracked

These were exceptionally comfortable boots. I don't want to purchase another pair due to others' experiences and TNF responses. Evidently they used a grade of rubber that tends to age and degrade at room temperature. Should have used a better synthetic compound.

I think I will take mine to a shoe repair shop to see if there is any way to repair.

Too bad about the boots failing, A Brown. Hopefully you can find a durable replacement. You can find reviews of other winter boots here at Trailspace: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/winter-boots/

1 year ago

I never write reviews, but felt a duty to others to tell them to save their money. I couldn't believe that my boots, which I've worn only a dozen times, are falling apart. The rubber is cracked all the way across the top of my boot. I saw many other similar complaints.

Cons

• Fell apart after a dozen wearings

I spent a lot of money on these boots to make it through Minnesota winters. I thought I was investing in a reliable product. I love North Face products, but these boots are a wreck.

I see the warranty is only for 1 year, so I'm just going to throw them in the trash. I saw other customers try to reason with customer service on this and left those reviews feeling hopeless. What a shame.

Welcome to Trailspace, Jennifer. Too bad about your poor experience with these boots (you're not alone).

Made from improper materials.

My Chilkats are maybe three years old and I wear them solely for snowblowing during New England winters. I've worn them approximately fifteen times. When they're not on my feet, they're stored in the house.

About four weeks ago, I took them out of the closet and found the right boot had four or five major cracks in the rubber material, wide enough to expose the insulation inside. Then, a few weeks later, the same thing happened to the left boot!

This is clearly a failure of the rubber material and judging by the many similar reports here, this isn't simply a "bad batch" of rubber. Buyer beware.

Source: received it as a personal gift

Welcome to Trailspace, BPC23. Too bad about the boots falling apart.

I concur with everyone on these poor reviews as well as the lack of response from TNF.

Pros

• Great fit
  • Very comfortable

Cons

• Unacceptably low quality due to the rubber cracking.

Nothing to add, other than I have purchased my last The North Face product.

Rubber area suddenly cracks and crumbles.

These were bought new about four years ago. Worn lightly to shovel snow and visit local stores, the tread shows little to no wear. While shoveling snow today, the rubber area covering the feet fell apart without any warning. By the time my husband came in, large chunks had fallen off.

Welcome to Trailspace, Yuki. Too bad about the boots falling apart.

Cracked after minimal use. VERY EXPENSIVE ITEM. Sounds like class action lawsuit, Lemon Law???

Something should be done. I wonder how many people just chunk em in garbage. Sad.

Cons

• Cracked after minimal use

6A24B41F-4F8B-4457-B40B-14CA868713B2.jpg
Overpriced plastic junk

g00se

Gary, have you tried to contact TNF about this product? I would think they would own the defect, given how many people complain about them.

Welcome to Trailspace, Gary. Too bad about your TNF boots. How long have you had them? Like Goose said, I suggest contacting TNF or the store you bought them from.

Rubber lower cracked.

• Warm
  • Easy to put on and off

Cons

• Defecrive rubber lower

I had a pair of the original Chilkats. I really liked them, but after a short period of time the lower rubber portion cracked.

I took a chance again when they came out with the Chillkat ll. I really liked them and figured NF fixed the issue. NOT!! Same thing different boot.

Really, North Face! Really!

Price Paid: $65 ?

Welcome to Trailspace, Brian. Sorry to hear about these boots' failure.

g00se

Thanks for the review. I'm never buying NF boots!

The Rubber part are Rubbish!

Pros

• Looks nice

Cons

• Poor materials
  • Doesn't last

I have had my North Face boots for about three years. Last week when I took them out of the closet to wear in the snow, the rubber lower and leather upper separated. The rubber completely deteriorated from indoor storage.

What crap these turned out to be for an expensive boot. All the rubber on the boot is falling apart. DON'T BUY. Shame on you, North Face. I'll get my next pair from LL Bean. They actually stand behind their product.

g00se

Welcome to Trailspace, Trevor. I'm no NorthFace fan to begin with, but these boots seem to really suck! Thanks for posting.

Welcome to Trailspace, Trevor. You are not alone in your disappointment with these boots.

Rubber upper boot fell apart.

I just pulled out my North Face Chilkats boots. The rubber completely fell apart in my hands. I have never seen anything like this.

Very disappointed, and I paid a lot for these boots. I kept these boots in my closet in the house. The boots were rarely used.

Wore these boots 3-4 times a year for three years. Last snowstorm, while walking, the rubber cracked starting at the toe. Junk!!!!!!!!

Pros

• None

Cons

• Don't go on an expedition with these, you'll die!

Junk!

Comfortable and warm, but lasted 20 minutes walking.

Pros

Cons

• Rubbish quality

Bought these boots to wear when snowboarding, but decided to wear them out walking. They lasted 20 minutes before the right toe area completely split. Such a shame as lovely comfortable boot. North Face quality!!

Welcome to Trailspace, Mark. I'm sorry to hear you had such a poor experience with these boots. Were you able to get any response from TNF? https://www.thenorthface.com/help/warranty.html

Do not buy them. Wore them once in the snow, seemed fine. Second time I wore them the whole upper section came off.

Pros

• Looks

Cons

• Fell apart after normal use!

Buy a Euro brand. NF, shame on you!

Price Paid: Over $200

Split apart at the rubber/leather seam. NF told me to go fly a kite. What a joke, because they are warm, waterproof*, and cozy. Up until they fall apart for no reason.

Bye bye, North Face. Never again.

Pros

• Big time name on your boot

Cons

• Made in China
  • Won't last

Comfy and warm, until you decide to not wear them. Then they fall apart. Thanks, North Face. I'll be shipping you none of my business for the rest of my life.

Price Paid: ~$165

Same thing happened to me ... I had these and only wore a few times bc I have really cute coach boots and last year we didn't have much snow and this year we didn't have much snow.

I got them out of my closet for the second time this year and they cracked same place as all of the others. I am so disappointed bc I loved these for really cold days. Seems to me there is a defect!!!!

Same thing happened to mine!! Seems to be a defect if it happened to so many. They should give people their money back! VERY disappointed.

My boots also fell apart in the same place.

Pros

• Great traction and warm

Cons

• They fell apart. Hardly worn, kept in closet next to my L.L. Bean boots.

I've had these boots for a few years. Hardly wear them. Have always worn L.L. Bean boots, but a few years ago I ran into these and thought I'd try them. Didn't have the need to use them a lot until this winter.

Got them out of my closet sitting next to my other boots. Second day wearing them they fell apart where the leather meets the rubber. Never had a pair of boots do this. I've read other complaints about this and North Face says it's a storage issue and won't do anything after a year. Bad business! My L.L. Bean boots I've had for 10 years and they are still perfect.

Nice job, North Face. You just gave L.L. Bean more of your customers!!!! You are misleading consumers with products that don't last. I know there are people who haven't had any issues with these boots, so you should be taking care of your customers that do.

Clearly there is a defect in the material or just bad quality. Just not the way to deal with defected products with consumers. PERIOD.

Fell apart in my closet!!!!!!

Cons

• Crap!!!!!

They fell a part in my closet after a couple years of very light use!!!!

North Face Baltoro 200 — same mold — same exact problem - actually happen in front of my own eyes during ONE day...

Pros

• Warm
  • Fit well

Cons

• Within 1 year Disposable shoe?

20140128_095013.jpg
20140128_124244.jpg

Complete Rubbish, so disappointed with my North Face Chilkats. My boots were stored with the rest of my gear. Took them out for the first time and the boots split so badly two hours into the walk that I was not sure if they were going to stay on my feet. The rubber section just fall apart. Never seen anything like it. Ripped off.

Pros

• Look great

Cons

• Taiwan RUBBISH

Save your money and don't purchase any of the crap.

Wore them twice and the side split from the sole.

Pros

• none

Cons

• cheaply made and garbage

I bought these to wear when hunting in Michigan.

They came out of the closet twice. Once to wear in the house and once to go to a friend's.

She noticed that the side had split open at the sole from toe to heel.

Price Paid: too much

I wear this boots during Oct thru spring time hiking and backpacking and really comfortable. I would recommend this model North Face Chilkats for hiking in the rugged terrain.

My wife bought a pair for herself. She liked them so bought a pair for me. I liked them, so we bought a pair for her parents in Poland. I'm going to keep this short... quite simply the most comfortable, warm, and waterproof boots I have ever purchased!

Materials: leather or Gore-tex
Use: Day hikes, foul weather gear, snow boots
Break-in Period: 0 days 0 blisters
Weight: 4 pounds I believe

Good looking boot, and felt great on the feet, but just like all the others, mine also fell apart after just sitting in my closest with very little use.

Pros

• Great for keeping your feet airy as they fall apart

Cons

• Wondering if you'll make it home on busted boots

Fit: Fine

Comfort: Started out great, but got even better when the boot split apart.

Water resistance: Very poor as the fell apart.

I'd post pictures, but you'd swear I just copied and pasted from those already shown. Mine also had very little use, and split like Chinese rubber. Good bye, North Face.

rated 1.00 of 5 stars All Chilkat versions

In addition to the 30 men's reviews above, there are 10 reviews for other versions of the Chilkat. Read all reviews »