The Fusion has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best expedition packs for 2020.
Reviewers Paid: $400.00
20 years on...still a great pack!
I still use it all the time. It's extremely durable so I can't imagine what brainchild was doing to it in 2002 to kill it so quickly. No issues. Fantastic backpack.
Source: bought it new
This is a copy of what I sent to The North Face after a 1 month trip to Wyoming with NOLS.
During 1 month of hiking I had the following problems.
1) Internal lateral compression strap (yellow) clip (male) broke.
2) Internal compression strap buckle (on same loop as female piece of #1) broken
3) External top closing clip broken.
4) Metal bar (for making headroom) constantly flipped and did the opposite of its intended purpose.
5) Metal stabilizing bar became bent somehow.
6) *Velcro used for securing the back padding and shoulder straps would not stay.
·By far the worst thing that happened, constantly had to stop entire group and readjust my pack
7) Webbing (coming down from D-ring on shoulder straps) too short to be used after adjusting
8) Lid-pocket clip (male piece on black webbing) broken.
9) Small tear in back padding (lower left)
worst pack ever!!!
Design: top loading
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs.
Height of Owner: 6'
Price Paid: $400
This pack is made for moutaineering and works terifficly. It has precision fit, completly waterproof and secures the load effectivly. Although they are quite rare and are now discontinued.
Number of Pockets: five
Max. Load Carried: 85 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'10
Price Paid: $345 cdn