The North Face Thermoball Pullover

photo: The North Face Thermoball Pullover synthetic insulated jacket

Price Current Retail: $119.96
Historic Range: $59.70-$168.95
Reviewers Paid: $105.00

The usual excellent quality and spendy retail pricing…

Summary

The usual excellent quality and spendy retail pricing from The North Face. Excellent addition to my cool/cold weather wardrobe, but only because I got it on a close-out deal (not a 2nd).

Pros

• Lightweight — almost as light as down
  • Warmth-to-weight ratio is high
  • Very packable
  • High quality construction
  • Does not have annoyingly tight cuffs — A+++ for me
  • Neck zip allows room for layering — it's not tight

Cons

• Lacks venting
  • Retains some moisture

This pullover retailed for more than I wanted to spend, but the reviews, coupled with an excellent deal I found elsewhere convinced me to order. I have been wearing it a few weeks and it's been very good, though not great.

I give it 4.5 stars based primarily on cost to performance. For a synthetic, it is very lightweight and packable. It is fairly warm, but not meant for below 45-ish temps alone. Below 45F, it becomes another outer layer, but does not breathe quite as well as I could wish.

In the end, almost as nice as down. If only it had some pit zips, or mesh vent on the back, that would have been perfect.