The North Face Thunderbolt Jacket

rated 4.5 of 5 stars

The Thunderbolt Jacket has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best waterproof jackets for 2020.

Price Reviewers Paid: $110.00-$260.00

I get so tired of paying the high prices for GORE-TEX these days. After about five years I decided I needed to try another waterproof / breathable jacket. I found the THUNDERBOLT jacket for a great price! It's very comparable to the '98 model mountain light. Everything you woudl want in a great shell is here. Pit zips, storm flaps, pockets, zip-in campatibility....this jacket has it all. So far no leaks, wear, or problems.

My only complaints are the fabric is cotton-like instead of nylon, and because it has zip in campatibility, it quite large when worn as a warm weather rain shell. The DWR has faded in a few places, but and H2O has yet to reach the inside of the parka. This is a great jacket as compared to the "to-the-moon-and-back" prices of GORE-TEX. I highly recommend this jacket.

Fabric: 2 layer HYDROSEAL fabric

I've had my TNF jacket for a year now, and it's awesome! It's an all purpose jacket that can be used for a shell, rain jacket, winter parka, windblocker, etc. It weighs only 1 lb. 9 oz. It has its own stuff sack, but is a pain to get in. The hydroseal had proved trustworthy, and I have had no problems with durability (typical north face).

Overall, it's a multi-purpose jacket for anyone that can afford the semi steep price.

Fabric: Hydroseal, ripstop nylon, reinforced in some areas
Fill: cool mesh lining