If your feet get cold on winter outings, or your feet…

Source: bought it used

Summary

If your feet get cold on winter outings, or your feet sweat and then freeze, these are the boots for you.

Pros

• WARM
  • Waterproof
  • Last for years

Cons

• Some people find them heavy

military-surplus-ecwcs-mickey-mouse-boot
They are a little heavy, but I have also hiked in them. Well worth the added weight, the insulation is sandwiched between two layers of rubber. The boot can literally fill with water and your feet will stay warm. It's like a dry suit for your feet.

The sizes seem to run a little large. I wear a 11.5 to 12 shoe, but a size 10 Mickey Mouse boot. I have both the black and white versions, the white ones being a little harder to come by. They are sold through numerous surplus outfits, but make sure they are "BATA" brand—that is the real deal.  I have always had good luck getting them through sportsmansguide.com.

Most of us in our scout troop use them for winter camping. They are the best! The ones I wear were manufactured in the 1970s, and are still in great shape. You don't need heavy socks, and some people even go barefoot in them.

Thanks for the review, realdam3! I'd be interested to see some pictures of these boots in your review.

1 year ago
realdam3

All set

1 year ago

Best snow boot ever!!!!!!!

Materials: rubber
Use: outdoor work in the winter
Break-in Period: ?
Weight: ?

Best snow boot ever!!!!!!!

I discovered these boots through R-U-Outside in Driggs,…

Materials: RUBBER WINTER
Use: WELL I DONT KNOW IF IT IS A HIKING BOOT BUT IF YOU HAVE COLD FEET WHEN YOU DO ANYTHING IN THE WINTER THESE BOOTS WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN

I discovered these boots through R-U-Outside in Driggs, ID during a sports show in Anchorage. I have had many types of winter snow-type boots from sorrels to mukluks and these are the best I've ever had. They work great in all types of snow conditions and are good to 30 below with activity. The buckles make for easy on and off and good retention. The removeable and optional second pair of fleece liners make for dry feet throughout the day. They accept strapon crampons with no problems and the closed cell construction keeps the cold out even standing on Ice fishing for hours.

You do have to use a fall type gaiter as they will not accept a regular under the arch strap type gaiter. All in all they are a good winter boot and I would highly recommend them.