Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Champ

Reviewers Paid: $50.00-$80.00
Height 1.3 in
Length 3.6 in
Weight 6.5 oz
Tools 33—large blade / small blade / reamer, punch and sewing awl / can opener / screwdriver 3 mm / bottle opener / screwdriver 6 mm / wire stripper / scissors / pliers / wire cutter / wire crimping tool / fish scaler / hook disgorger / ruler (cm) / ruler (in) / wood saw / nail file / nail cleaner / metal saw / metal file / magnifying glass / Phillips screwdriver 1/2 / screwdriver 2.5 mm / chisel 4 mm / multipurpose hook / toothpick / tweezers / pressurized ballpoint pen / pin, stainless steel / key ring / mini screwdriver / corkscrew

This multi-tool is in my EDC bag and goes with me everywhere. No matter what activity you are doing outdoors this little guy can assist you with all your tasks at hand. I give this only 4.5 stars as the 5-star version is the Victorinox SwissChamp XLT 4inch ~priced $250.

Pros

• Well made, long lasting, extremely sharp knives and scissors
  • Quoted to have 33 functions (I would double that number)
  • Lightweight (~6.5 oz)

Cons

• It is smaller than the one I bought in Switzerland (same knife, just larger) and only recently has it been able to be purchased from Switzerland here in the USA online.
  • Hefty price tag
  • Due to its smaller size you are limited to:
  • *cutting smaller branches,
  • *cutting thinner materials with scissors
  • *pliers not strong enough for automobile work
  • *screwdrivers etc are meant for small appliances and electronics and bikes etc

0820211636.jpg
left to right      Sharpening rod, Leather Sheath, Swiss Champ

The Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss-Champ multi-tool is the go-to EDC companion.

I have had both the USA version and the Switzerland model (merely larger in size) that I bought during my travel to their country, with me  for the past 20+ years.

As a child I used to watch the TV show MacGyver and due to production costs they used a cheaper version of this knife (lifetime family friend dated Henry Winkler, so got the inside info on this) but seeing all the amazing things that this gadget could be used for I had to get one for myself.

Let me first start by saying the greatest tool that a person can have for the great outdoors/ survival is Knowledge. Just owning this multi-tool knife will not save your life nor will it allow you to repair anything just by owning it.

But with knowledge this little guy in the right hands can conduct orchestras.

0820211633.jpg
Swiss Champ when opened completely.

I have used the Swiss Champ to start fires (cutting small dead branches, making tinder, igniting the wood with the magnifying glass ), to repair camping equipment, to cut rope and paracord, to fix tents, unhook fish that I caught, open wine bottles and pop off glass beer and soda bottles, personal grooming/ hygiene (cutting hair, trimming beard, trimming and filing nails, using toothpick, while camping for long periods of time), removing ticks and splinters, food prep, Whittling (making wood figurines and whistles), repairing sunglasses, and even to write a letter with the included  pen.

0820211635.jpg
top left pen, next to it toothpick behind that tweezers (hard to see) and far right corkscrew with mini eyeglass repair screwdriver embedded in it.

I can honestly say that the knives are the sharpest of any knives that I own on the Swiss Champ. The saw is amazing, I use the scissors often, bottle cap, can opener and corkscrew too.

0820211634.jpg
A handy knife that fits in the palm of your hand

Height:  1.3 in

31. key ring
  32. mini screwdriver
  33. corkscrew

Experience

Unlike knockoffs of this product (any other multi knife tool that you ever see is a knockoff of this gadget, think of Qtips i.e. cotton swabs on tiny plastic rods to clean your ears, Qtips is a brand name, yet we refer to cotton swabs by that name Qtips) this is the real deal, the amazing knife multitool that the world has made knockoffs from.

Owning this product for over 20 years and its larger version from Switzerland, and owning dozens of knockoffs over the years I can tell you that only these two knives / multitools are still with me and fully functional as if I just bought them yesterday.

I have used these in Yosemite, Adirondacks, Hunter MT, Bear MT, while camping, hiking, fishing, kayaking, cycling, and even for ER field medical situations.

Realize this is the outdoorsman model and the company has other models for other activities and professions, i.e. golfing, computer repair, garden, combat, and gentleman's pocket knife, etc.

Nice review of a classic, Michael!

Nice blades and has everything, but too heavy and cumbersome.

Pros

• Good steel blades

Cons

• Too heavy for a "pocket" knife
  • Many of the tools just aren't necessary

I've had one of these for over 30 years. Went for the "ultimate" pocket knife.

While it does have everything, most tools just really aren't necessary and make the knife overly thick and heavy. It is nice, but it never ends up going on trips with me.

The standard Victorinox Swiss Army Knife has everything one would usually need and is lighter, more compact, and 1/4 the price.

Experience

30 years ago I moved to Switzerland and I got the Champ as a gift two years later (it's engraved Xmas 1993). I have a few different Victorinox SA knives, my favorite being one with a larger handle and larger locking blade. The steel is decent, and the workings hold up well with a little maintenance

Source: received it as a personal gift

Welcome to Trailspace, Steve! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Swiss Champ. What multitool or knife do you prefer? The Classic? https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Small-Pocket-Knives/Classic/p/0.6203

Steve Schmidt

The Classic is too small. When I go out I usually take either my Hunter which has a larger, lockable blade or what used to be called a "Standard" closer to what they call the "Spartan" now.

Thanks, Steve!

1 month ago
Michael -Survival Intuition

I find the more types of things one knows how to repair, the more a person thinks out side of the box , and the more well rounded the person using it is, that this knife becomes more useful and truly shines... I think the only tool that I have yet to use is the fish scaler (although i did use the tape measure part of it) but that is only cause I do not want my knife wreaking of fish. Try not looking at each tool by its description but possible function in this knife and get back to me if that makes a difference to you on how many tools in this knife you use

1 month ago