photo: Alpina Men's BC 1550 nordic touring boot

Price Current Retail: $149.95
Historic Range: $79.00-$199.95
Reviewers Paid: $100.00-$129.00

I bought these while looking to put a quiver together.

I bought these while looking to put a quiver together. They are a well-made and nice-looking boot with a high volume interior. This is why I could not make them work.

If you have a wider, thicker foot these may be perfect for you. I found them to be too voluminous for my foot and found the Rossignol and Fischer to fit much closer and tighter.

These could be one of the best nnn bc boots out there…

Summary

These could be one of the best nnn bc boots out there if not for one major issue, as everyone else has also noticed.

Pros

• Build quality
  • Materials
  • Good support

Cons

• Wants to slice your toes off

It's a shame, really. These are really good boots with just the right balance of flex and support, they're well constructed, have great materials and perform really well on bc skis. But the toe box, oh that stupid toe box. Seems to fold over when flexed, pushing down on the toes just like everyone else has said.

I'm sure it could be broken in over time, but during that time would be extremely unpleasant. I'm tempted to keep trying but fitting some sort of plastic insert in the toes or taping up my foot, that's how much I like the boots and want to solve this issue.

Experience

Used them four times before saying "uncle".

Thanks for the review, Dean. Apparently this is a common problem with these boots of late.

Good while they lasted. I bought these as part of…

Summary

Good while they lasted.

Pros

• Warm
  • Good ankle support
  • Fit my wide feet

Cons

• Toe box collapsed
  • Blisters

I bought these as part of a package with some Atomic Sierra skis. After about six medium length (e.g. 6-10 mile) trips, the toe boxes collapsed, causing an unbearable rubbing across the tops of all of my toes and causing severe pain and blisters. They still look almost like new, but are now unwearable.

rated 2.00 of 5 stars All BC 1550 versions

In addition to the 3 men's reviews above, there are 3 reviews for other versions of the BC 1550. Read all reviews »