Appalachian Gear Company All-Paca Crew

Price MSRP: $145.00
Material 100% Alpaca fiber
Fit Regular Fit
Origin Made in the USA

The All-Paca Crew is a lightweight, medium thickness base-layer suitable for active wear or just lounging around the house during a lock-down. It is made from 100 percent Alpaca fiber. It fills my niche as a three-season hiking/sleep layer, to be paired with a t-shirt on cold mornings and with a shell when the wind or rain begins to cut. It offers a good warmth-to-weight ratio, breathability, and also a hefty resistance to odor. It closely matches the performance of similar technical base-layers like the Patagonia R1 while managing to be slightly more comfortable. Mind the sizing and resist the urge to pick at hairs…Alpaca knit garments do have a wild-side.

Pros

• Warm fuzzy ultralight comfort
  • Made from a natural, sustainable material
  • Defies odor, breathes well, and dries quickly
  • Made in the USA by a small local company, shipped in simple, plastic-free packaging

Cons

• Sizing runs large
  • Natural fibers give the garment a "hairy" look that also tends to collect debris

20200908_151228.jpg

Weight of my sample (Women’s Small): 7.34 oz

Material: 100% Peruvian Alpaca Fiber

What is an Alpaca? Well, they are very cute relatives of camels and Llamas, originally hailing from South America. Given the ever-increasing popularity of their wool, Alpaca farms have been springing up all over the world but the majority of their wool is still sourced from Peru. Alpaca wool has very similar properties to sheep’s wool but is said to retain much less water weight. The fibers are also softer to the touch. Alpacas can regrow their fur, just like sheep, so their wool is considered a renewable resource that is also naturally biodegradable.

P1020246.jpg
These are a mix of alpacas and llamas that I encountered while touring Northern Chile...the farmers really do tie ribbons and bells onto their fur, I guess to identify who's who. These guys were living at 5,000 meters next to a snow-clad volcano! At those elevations, it seems that their wool is pretty effective at keeping them warm.

Appalachian Gear Company is a small North Carolina-based cottage company that produces adventure-related alpaca fiber products. They also make hoodies, tees, beanies, neck gaiters, and sleeping bag liners.

20200515_090334.jpg
The sticker that came with my sample

Fit & Comfort: The most important detail to note up front is that this crew runs LARGE! Appalachian Gear Company’s website highlights this in bold faced lettering. I initially thought I would need a women's medium for layering but the brand representative immediately steered me towards a women's size small. In hindsight, I could have possible even gone with an extra-small. 20200516_075141.jpg

The design of this crew is “regular,” not athletic. Think of it as a thin but slightly oversized sweater. While most of my base-layers trend towards skin-tight, this crew is very generous in proportion. The neck is comfortably wide, the shoulders are quite broad, and the sleeves and torso run long.

20200908_151316.jpgWhile the sleeves are the perfect length for my arms, I feel that the shoulders are actually a little too wide. There is a little gapping in the top shoulder seam, giving the garment a somewhat blocky look. Additionally, the rear hem is a couple inches longer than the front hem, providing ample rear coverage.

20200516_075109.jpg
You can kind of see the blocky-look to the shoulder in this picture...in my arm that's holding the trekking poles.
20200516_075203.jpg
Plenty of coverage in the back...sometimes the hem rolls up a little but this was no bother to me.

Given the generous sizing and soft natural fibers, this garment is also exceedingly comfortable. I am a big fan of wool products, but I think I like alpaca wool even better. This natural and sustainable fiber appears to provide all the benefits of sheep wool while also being incredibly soft to the touch, lightweight and more airy...almost like synthetic fleece. I do not find it itchy in the least (but it’s always possible that some with sensitive skin could). The material is also quite stretchy. Through a full range of movements (i.e. class 3 climbing on mountains), I never experienced any tightness or friction.

20200627_084814.jpg
Plenty of room to lounge at the top of this mountain...and plenty of room to lounge in this crew.

Adjustability/Layering/Ease-of-Use: This is a simple crew-necked base-layer, so it doesn’t come with any adjustable features. Being that it’s quite stretchy, it’s easy to pull over other layers, but it does generate a lot of static-electricity, especially in arid environments. Be prepared for a bit of a shock when you’re pulling it on or off over other clothes.

20200627_090401.jpg
I often end up layering with as many bright and opposing colors as possible but managed to match the crew with a navy blue neck gaiter, which is why it looks like I'm wearing a turtleneck or hoodie in some pictures. This is from one of my 20 14er summits this past summer, Mt Antero.

Water Resistance & Moisture: Much like sheep’s wool, this is one of those wonder garments that manages to feel warm even when it’s a bit damp. Granted, my testing during one of the driest summers in Colorado did not allow me to get a firm grip on the crew’s performance in precipitation. But I did note that it came out of the clothes washer feeling almost dry to the touch. I put it on straight from the washer and did not feel any discomfort from the lingering wetness. The fibers warm up quickly from body heat and likewise dry quickly.

20200722_074856.jpg
The closest this crew has come to getting wet so far...a waterfall in Rocky Mountain National Park.

I like this crew specifically for my mountain climbs, since lugging oneself continuously up a mountainside for hours can generate a whole lot of sweat. I wore this for many of my climbs up 14er’s, enjoying the lack of any accumulation of sweat. My next test will be to wear it on the Long Trail of Vermont, where it’s sure to meet a lot of rain. I’ll update this section of the review after that thru-hike.

Breathability: The All-Paca Crew excels in this regard, having as much to do with the knit as it does with the properties of the fibers. Holding it up to the sun demonstrates the “airy-ness” of the knit fabric. As I’ve said before, it’s very much like a wool sweater. But in terms of thickness, I would classify it as a midweight base-layer. I was able to wear it in temperatures ranging from the 70's down into the 30's, depending on my activity level.

20200827_130205.jpg

Excellent breathability also means that this is a drafty layer in windy conditions. So it’s important to pair it with a good rain/wind shell. Doing so will ensure that those biting chill winds at the tops of ridgelines and mountain tops don’t cut through this breathable layer as easily.

20200531_150225.jpg
Always bring along a wind/rain jacket.

Warmth, Weight, & Packability: I’m impressed with this crew’s weight and dimensions. It’s very cozy, warm, and generously sized for only 7 ounces. It also packs to the size of a large grapefruit...not as compressible as down but slightly better than most fleeces. It’s most similar to my Patagonia R1 crew, which weighs about the same and matches this crew’s warmth, but with a much tighter fit. The R1 also holds odors, while this does not.

For another comparison, my Montbell Anorak down puffy weighs a little over 5 ounces, is warmer, but also doesn’t breathe at all, so I don’t/can’t usually wear it while hiking. A down puffy cannot get wet, which is another reason it’s not good for active wear. The All-Paca Crew fills my niche in needing a warm and breathable base-layer for hiking that at the same time can get wet and then dry quickly.

Abrasion, Construction, & Durability: Appalachian Gear Company touts their Trail Seam and Weft knit fabric as having

tremendous toughness and durability, so you can be confident the gear will perform under extreme stress and prolonged usage.  Our hoodies, Crews and shirts have been thousands of miles and experienced millions and millions of rubs under backpack straps - and our Trail Seam™ has consistently met those stringent demands.

I’m not certain what these terms mean regarding the construction of the fabric but they also state that the fabric resists “runs” if it gets a hole or tear.

This crew has held up as well as expected, given my use so far. As a disclaimer, I’m generally pretty easy-going on my equipment (i.e. I’ve managed to stretch nearly 9,000 miles out of an ultralight DCF tent) and I’m well accustomed to ultralight gear. I’ve worn the All-Paca Crew a fair bit under a daypack and a few overnight loads, with no noticeable wear or tear. I’ve also done a bit of technical hiking through some brush and over a lot of rock, all with no snags to the fabric.

20200808_104425.jpg
Taking a rock nap above 14,000' on Ellingwood Point...I haven't been too worried about exposing the material to some hard surfaces. Altitude naps have become one of my specialties.

As with most knit and/or wool fabrics, I do see the potential for wear spots developing around the shoulders and my lower back. My merino wool t-shirts become see-through-thin in these areas over the course of a 2-3K mile thru-hike, and I suspect this layer would suffer a similar fate if exposed to such high mileage. I don’t feel it’s as resistant to abrasion as my R1 crew but this is only a subjective observation thus far. I may have more to say about this after I wear this crew for a few weeks consistently on a thru-hike.

It’s also worth noting here just how “hairy” a garment this is. Anyone living with cats or dogs might best appreciate what it’s like to be constantly covered in hair. I have to resist the urge to pick at these hairs, sticking out all over, because they are still a part of the knit. Removing them would be akin to removing the feathers that poke out of a down puffy or sleeping bag…you don’t want to lose that insulation.

20200908_151238.jpg
A close-up of the Alpaca fabric, complete with hairs.

The fuzziness and static-electricity also seem to invite all sorts of hitchhikers…stray hairs, pine needles and other debris. I made the mistake of breaking under a tree in some duff and my backside was subsequently coated! It took a lot of effort to shake it all off, as the debris has a way of embedding itself into the fibers of the knit. I have a Jekyll and Hyde relationship between my OCD cleanliness and hikertrash lifestyle, so I can generally put up with this crew’s unruly appearance. Those that are more consistently on the OCD side of the spectrum might not like this characteristic.

20200516_074521.jpg
A COVID-appropriate image with my merino buff, notice that I also have a few hitchhikers on my shoulder. Most likely crumbles from my breakfast...who knows.

In contrast to an affinity for debris, these wild fibers do seem to defy odors. Have stinky armpit build-up over the course of a day hike? No problem. How about weeks on end? I’ve washed my crew only twice over the course of the summer and only then because I felt I needed to see how it held up in the wash. I've never detected any odor after days on days of use. I hope to not wash it at all for the 2-3 weeks it takes me to hike the Long Trail (a much more humid environment) and will report back on my findings. So far, it’s really fantastic in this regard.

Lastly, I have some concern about stretch in the garment. Often with wool products, shrinkage is an issue. Yet this garment is so stretchy it seems more capable of becoming over-stretched. I can’t say for certain that it has gotten bigger over time but it feels like it. I met another guy wearing this crew’s partner, a hoodie, and I recognized the lineage immediately when I noticed how it was hanging loosely on his body. I asked if he had a problem with stretch and he wasn’t sure…he was just as happy with the comfort. Regardless, I think it’s a good idea to follow manufacturer suggestions not to dry it with heavy jeans and towels and to lay it flat when air-drying.

20200615_114957.jpg
My hike up Humboldt Peak with the Crestones in the background...life's good above 14k'.

Other Care Suggestions: It's best to read all the care instructions on the brand's website. In summary, they suggest treating their products as you would with wool: Minimize washing in a machine, machine wash in delicate cycle in small loads, and dry in low heat. I prefer air drying my wool things and this crew does seem to dry even faster than wool, if you give it a proper spin or wring. Also keep it away from moths.

Conditions: I’ve worn the All-Paca Crew on 20 some day hikes, several overnights, and one section hike of the Colorado Trail over the course of the 2020 summer (May-August). Most of my testing has been above timberline at high altitudes, in dry conditions. I’ve worn the crew for hiking, rock scrambling and sleeping in my tent. It’s come in handy just lounging around the house, too. All my use thus far has been in Colorado but I plan to take it thru-hiking on the Long Trail of Vermont in late September. I will update this review following this hike.

20200731_110637.jpg
Mt. Evans, with fellow 14ers Grays, Torreys, and Bierstadt in the background, also tops I've summited. My count is up to 26.

Thanks to Appalachian Gear Company and Trailspace for the opportunity to test this crew! I've enjoyed it immensely.

Experience

I've used some of the more stand-out base-layers and fleece offerings from big companies such as Patagonia and Icebreaker, as well as from smaller cottage companies like Melanzana. I have found that a combination of a short-sleeve merino t-shirt, a long sleeve crew neck, a hooded down puffy, and a hooded rain shell works best as my layering scheme. This is a combination that has served me well for about 10,000 miles of thru-hiking and backpacking, throughout a variety of challenging conditions.

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample for testing and review provided by Appalachian Gear Company)

About the Author

Leah Harman is an avid long-distance thru-hiker. Since 2017 she has completed the Te Araroa, Colorado Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail, and Arizona Trail. When she's at home she volunteers as an activity leader for the Florida Trail Association.

Great review and pictures of your summer summits, Twig! I can't wait to hear about your upcoming Long Trail thru hike next.

KiwiKlimber

I have hiking envy just looking at some of these photos.

andrew f.

Great reviews like this have led to their site being sold out of everything.

Twig

Thanks for your nice comments. I was loath to mention the inventory problems that the brand seems to be experiencing, hoping it's only temporary. Small companies have really suffered with sourcing and production during this pandemic.