Benchmade Mini Bugout

Open 6.49 in / 16.48 cm
Closed 3.704 in / 9.41 cm
Weight 1.5 oz / 42.52 g
Handle Thickness 0.412 in / 10.46 mm

Sweet little purpose-built knife with a remarkably sharp blade. Great for day-to-day activities as well as the quick use when you don't want to pull your bigger blade from your pack.

Pros

• Sharp
  • Customizable
  • Fun colors

Cons

• Limited by blade size

I'll admit, I am a bit of a mid-level knife collector. I've always believed that you should have a knife that is strong enough to meet your needs, but not so expensive that you ruin your trip when you nick the blade. I'm hard pressed to let a cool blade sit on the shelves for very long.

Well, this time, it was my wife. She decided I needed a new Benchmade as my last one was about 10 years old, so she ordered me the orange version and had an inscription lasered onto the blade.

Let me tell you, this little package is awesome. Fully equipped with a S30V steel blade, the knife came out of the box razor sharp (ask my finger and the ensuing ER visit). At just under 4 inches (folded) and at a miniscule 1.5 ounces, this folder is ready to be taken with you everywhere.

The Mini Bugout packs a punch with its 2.82-inch blade. While its size may limit its uses on the trail, it's perfect for any small job, on or off the beaten path. Need to cut some paracord? Done. Your order from the local retailer just arrived? Cut that baby open! I've found myself carrying this little bundle of orange goodness more than any of my other 37 knives. It's just that sweet!

Maybe I can convince her to look the other way when I buy the other two colors...

Experience

As I said, I am a collector of knives. I own everything from cheap Walmart blades to offerings from Spiderco, CRKT, Benchmade, Leatherman, and so on. I've had this blade for about 8 months or so now and you will always find it attached to either my right jeans pocket or directly on my pack's waist belt. Take your bigger knife along for those more intense jobs, but leave it in your pack until you need it. The Mini-Bugout from Benchmade has you covered on the rest!

Source: received it as a personal gift

Nice review of your Benchmade, Stephen! If you have any pictures of your knife, I'm sure others would enjoy seeing them in your review too.

Jake W

Hey Stephen, first off welcome to Trailspace! I just received a custom Bugout with Carbon Fiber handle and Damascus blade which I'll be doing a review of for the Review Corps. If you haven't already you should play around with the custom program on their site. Lots of options to choose from- blade steel, handle, colours, etc, its super fun to see what designs you can come up with.

nuitsblanches

thanks for the review and the insight on this interesting tool - as a non-collector of knives, though, i would add _Price_ as a Con. (-: I understand that this is a high quality build, but there are many decently workable EDC knives from reputable manufacturers like Gerber, SOG, (even Opinel :-) at much lower price points, quite fine for trail or camp work, and easier on the wallet and the soul when they get beat up or lost.

Michael -Survival Intuition

nuitsblanches is correct about other manufacturers making folders and at considerably lower prices, but I must say despite that nuitsblanches ,folding knives in general cause the most bodily injuries due to mechanical failures so if you are going to be using a folder you want the highest quality out there like Benchmade.

You get what you pay for but sometimes you get more then what you bargained for, as in an injury. So one is better off forking over some big $$ to insure safety. For example, we are accustomed to having air bags in our vehicles, and they are expensive, but they save lives.

nuitsblanches

Michael, indeed, I do agree that one usually gets what one pays for - but for affordable and still safe alternatives, the manufacturers i quoted make very serviceable, and quite reliable, folders - which takes nothing away from all the noted qualities of this knife. :-)

Michael -Survival Intuition

I am sorry nuisblanches but I have to stand firm on this, especially when you are indicating that these are safe alternatives
Google search "folding knife recalls" then open another 4 windows each having " folding knife recalls" then in each window add one of these names so that 1st window has 1 name 2nd window has 2 of these names 3rd has 3 names and 4th has all 4 names with an included minus sign before the name
so (omit the parenthesis )
( folding knives recall) ( folding knives recall -gordon ) (folding knives recall -gordon -gerber )
(folding knives recall -gordon -gerber -harbor ) and 4th window all of the (folding knife recalls -gordon -gerber -harbor -greenlee t .These are only a small number of the recalled folding knives from a few manufacturers that I am using for the sake of this argument. There are numerous knock offs that are from other countries that do not get forced to recall their knives from dangerous working conditions.
An estimated 8,250,914 knife-related injuries were treated in US EDs from 1990 to 2008, of those Pocket/utility knives were 47 % of the injures (these were not from an assaults but induced from mechanical failure), 36 % of the total knife injures in that statistic was of self induced injures from kitchen knives. .The extremely expensive knives were not on the recall lists and had the least of the self induced injuries out of all the other folding blade companies

nuitsblanches

(-: Thanks for taking the time to share detailed instructions on how to do a google search - and those are indeed sobering stats. Glad you found and enjoy your safe knives - i'll keep using the same $10 Opinels that over the past 50+ years have yet to fold on my fingers. Nuitsblanches, out.

Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody Review