Beyond Clothing Aether Crew

rated 5.0 of 5 stars (1)
photo: Beyond Clothing Aether Crew base layer top

Price MSRP: $75.00

A great short sleeve base layer shirt that can be…

Disclosure: The author of this review received a sample of the product from the brand or its representative in exchange for a review.

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I kept the product after testing.)

Summary

A great short sleeve base layer shirt that can be used on its own for hiking or under other items if the weather is colder. The shirt is super soft and extremely comfortable with ridges that help wick the sweat away from your body and keep you cool even during strenuous exercise.

I would definitely recommend it for anyone who will be doing heavy outdoor activity and wants something lightweight and breathable.

Pros

• Wicking
  • Durable material

Cons

• May be too thick for very hot weather
  • Slightly boring colors

I got the Aether Crew base layer shirt as a reviewer and got to test it out on a recent hiking/camping trip. First off, it is a super comfortable and well fitting shirt. I am a smaller guy and got the small sized shirt and it was the perfect size for me. I liked how it was tight against my body which worked well to wick the sweat away. The ridged material also kept it from causing any chafing even while hiking with a backpack for several miles.

Since it is a base layer my major concern was how long it would take to dry and breathability since I am often trekking in hot weather and it performed beautifully in both of these categories. After 4 miles of climbing/sweating, I got to a waterfall to swim and hung the shirt up for about 20 minutes. When I put it back on it was completely dry.

Additionally, while hiking I expected the shirt to make me feel warm since it is thicker than most things I wear this time of year, but it actually made me feel cooler than usual and was super breathable. Since the shirt is tight and sits close to your body it would function really well for layering other gear on top in different conditions.

Finally, although I have only gotten a chance to try out the shirt a couple of times so far it seems to be really well made and durable and it should last for many uses going forward. The only downside is that it needs be line dried and not put in the clothes dryer.

Disclosure: The reviewer received a sample of this product from the brand or its representatives in exchange for a review.

Hi Asher, what kind of temps have you used this crew in and what temp range do you recommend?

Asher Krell INCENTIVIZED REVIEWER

I have really only used it in hot humid Alabama summer weather which is probably not the original design but works really well. I would say it is best used in colder weather as a base layer to keep the sweat wicked away from your body under heavy activity. Though it did also work well to keep me dry in the weather I used it. More recently I found it effective as my clean base layer around camp on a backpacking trip and it worked well to stay clean over several days and keep me warm.

Thanks for the followup, Asher.