Garmin eTrex 30x

rated 2.0 of 5 stars
photo: Garmin eTrex 30x handheld gps receiver

Not the biggest screen and most functionality, but sufficient for even the toughest backcountry use. I agree that it could use a strap and battery in the package. SD card is personal. I bought a 32MB and it works fine.

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Useful

Cons

• No cover or protection
  • Package very cheap and for the money would expect at least good batteries
  • Functionality and usability of various functions could be more user friendly

I kind of agree with other review person, but I do my research and found a site to use free Open Source maps that can be converted to Garmin maps. I knew beforehand I wasn't going to buy those expensive Garmin maps, but for the general public this could be a real downer.

No battery, no S/D card, no way to carry fasten to equipment, just as well not had a map. No topo map, not much of anything, but wasted money in a drawer with other outdated phones and junk.

I've owned two other Garmin products for l5 years. They are excellent pieces of equipment. This is why I'm so disappointed in the 30X.

Pros

• Small
  • Water tight

Cons

• All in the above summary.

Look what maps are offered and cost. Very disappointed in World Map. Would have been nice to zoom in to see where you're on a trail at any time. Maybe I was expecting too much for 300 bucks.

Price Paid: close to $300