Grivel G12

Weight 970 g / 34.2 oz
Sizes 36-47
Certification CE EN 893, UIAA 153
Use technical mountaineering

I used these crampons climbing and descending Alum Cave Trail last week in the Smokies. The traction these things provided was incredible. Used them for about 3 miles up the trail and 5 miles down and they never slipped one single time on the ice, snow, or even rocks.

The only issue that I blame myself for and not the equipment is one crampon did pop off on the walk down the mountain. However, I believe this to be my fault for not verifying fit that morning since I set the fit at home at 70 degrees F and I think the boot soles shrank the next morning when the temp was -2 degrees F.

I would not have attempted this trail had I not had these devices that provide such great traction.

Price Paid: gift

I am a mountain hiker and I am active all year round, mainly in the Bavarian and Austrian Alps. Day tours only. I walk on Hanwag shoes from early spring to late autumn with the support of light crampons if necessary. In winter I hike on Raichle All Degrees with Grivel G12 crampons. Excellent combination.

To the Grivel G12 crampons:

This is an excellent product. Very sturdy and versatile. For my Raichle shoes I have the mixed version, with the fixed clip-on binding for the heel and the universal binding for the front.

The heel clip-on binding is user-friendly and, once fastened, will stay tight all day long.

The front fastening system, with the cord going through two simple rings, is very easy and effective and hardly needs any re-fastening, not even after some intensive climbing.

Recommendable without hesitation.

Price Paid: €. 125 / $. 175

How to Get Outside and Recreate Responsibly this Winter

Sea to Summit Comfort Deluxe Insulated Mat Review

NativesOutdoors White Shell Mountain Beanie Review

Mountain Equipment Glacier 700 Review

MSR DragonFly Review

Does anyone have plans to build something like this