The Klean Kanteen insulated water bottle keeps liquids…

Disclosure: The author of this review received a sample of the product from the brand or its representative in exchange for a review.

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I kept the product after testing.)

Summary

The Klean Kanteen insulated water bottle keeps liquids cold for days or hot for hours. Super strong stainless steel inside and out, it can take a beating and is easy to clean.

Pros

• Fits in all standard drink holders
  • Super strong
  • Imparts no taste to the contents
  • Well insulated
  • Keeps drinks cold or hot

Cons

• Heavier than a normal water bottle

I have had the Klean Kanteen insulated classic  20-ounce water bottle for six months now and I continue to be amazed at how well the bottle works. Because it looks like an ordinary water bottle it's easy to forget that it isn't.

I first noticed how well the insulated bottle works when I started leaving it in my truck for hours on days where the temperature was well into the 90-degree range. Since my bottle has a sport cap I would just grab and drink. I was always surprised at how cold the water was. Klean Kanteen says the insulated bottle will keep drinks hot for 20 hours and cold for 50 hours. Those are bold claims so I decided to do a few tests of my own.

My cold test consisted of removing a full bottle that had been chilling in the refrigerator for several days, the water was 40 degrees at the start of the test. I then set the Klean Kanteen insulated bottle and an uninsulated bottle in full sun on a 90-degree day for 12 hours. After 12 hours the insulated bottle's water was 55 degrees and the uninsulated bottle's water was 90 degrees.

I then proceeded to test for how long the insulated bottle would keep liquids warm. I filled the bottle with just boiling water that measured 200 degrees and put the bottle in the refrigerator. After 5 hours the temperature was 175 degrees, after 8 hours it had dropped to 150 degrees and after 10 hours the liquid was still a very warm 135 degrees.

The double wall stainless construction eliminates the glass insert that makes most insulated vessels so fragile. If I have dropped the bottle once I have dropped in 30 times. While there are some small dents they have had no effect on the bottle's performance.

The fairly wide mouth makes cleaning the bottle easy using any standard bottle brush. All the insulated bottles come with a loop cap but Klean Kanteen also offers an accessory Sport Cap. The Sport Cap replaces the loop cap and features an excellent leak resistant valve attached to a soft silicone spout for I handed convenience. An attached loop is great for a 1 finger carry or for clipping on a carabiner.

The Klean Kanteen Insulated Classic 20 ounce bottle is offered in 10 different colors. The Klean Kanteen insulated 20-ounce bottle weighs in at just over 12 ounces versus 6 ounces for an uninsulated 18-ounce bottle. I think the performance is well worth the extra 6 ounces.

I have found the bottle preforms great whether I am doing a day hike or ripping down trails on my mountain bike. The 20 ounce insulated bottle fits all standard auto cup holders and is sized to fit standard bicycle water holders.

Price: $30.95

Disclosure: I received a sample of this product for purposes of this review, but the opinions expressed are my own.