Mammut Laser Light Jacket

I reviewed the 2004/2005 version of this jacket earlier.

Fabric: Schoeller Dryskin Extreme with some WB-400
Fill: none

I reviewed the 2004/2005 version of this jacket earlier. I checked out the new one (2005/2006) and it is different. The new one is mostly Scheoller Dryskin Extreme with a small panel of WB-400 in the sleeves and on the torso sides. That is going to make it more breathable but less warm.

I like the old one for cold weather mountain biking because it has that internal layer of fleece. The new one has that special Nano-Sphere coating but the old one is 3X Dry coated. I have worn the old one in cold and rain and it stays dry and warm. I guess the new one will be dry but I wonder how warm when it is very cold? The cut and layout is identical but the fabric has been changed. The Dryskin is sometimes referred to as Spring Summer Fall fabric where as the WB-400 is often referred to as Fall Winter Spring fabric. I just don't know why they changed it.

Either way, the hood is great, the little brim does a great job keeping the rain off your face or the sun out of your eyes. The zippered pockets open to be efficient ventilators since it has no pit zips. The thumb holes are a nice feature as well. When fully zipped, the hood comes right up under your nose for maximum protection.

They call the new one "light" so I guess they have created a winter (old) and summer (new) version of the same style jacket.

Great products.

The Laser Light Jacket has been discontinued.

The Mammut Laser Light Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 20, 2009 at Altrec Outdoors.

Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Review