Lightweight (3 1/2 lbs), roomy, well made one-person…

Summary

Lightweight (3 1/2 lbs), roomy, well made one-person tent. Perfect compromise between weight and cost.

Pros

• Lightweight, not ultra lightweight
  • Well ventilated, full mesh body
  • Lots of reflection at night
  • Sturdy, because materials and design

Cons

• No guy loops on tent body ends

I purchased this to drop some weight after carrying a Kelty Gunnison 1.3 for years. The Tungsten has a great design, and two color choices. I went with Green Shadow/Moss, also available in gray and orange. It weighs in at around 3,5 lbs; I upgraded to lighter stakes and made ultralight guylines. I carry the poles and stakes in the sacks provided, the fly and body in a Kelty compression sack (color- curry, size-small).

Below tent on Saranac Islands

IMG_20180818_161419_819.jpg

Basic crisscrossing pole design; poles are high quality DAC. The poles that attach to the front of the tent are pre-bent and their ends are different colors to add space to the lower tent. Pole attachments on body and fly are color coded and the clips for both poles all face the front of the tent, which mades setup easy.

Tungsten 1

IMG_20180819_113400_052.jpg
The tent comes with j stakes and 4 guylines (you'll need to carry 5). I replaced the stakes with MSR Groundhogs for the guylines and MSR Mini Groundhogs for the tent body. I bought Zephyr guylines tensioners and 1.8 mm Paracord Planet reflective guyline cord on Amazon and made lightweight reflective guylines. The tent has 4 guyline attachment loops for the poles and 1 for the back. The tent could use guyline loops at it's ends.

Homemade guylines and MSR stakes I carry with the Tungsten

0824181725a.jpg
The tent is made with relective guyline attachments, line loops at the pole attachments, and lights up in the beam of a headlamp.

Tungsten 1p lit up by headlamp light

0819182109.jpg
Overall, I am very happy with the tent. Its only flaw, is the lack of guyline loops at its ends could have condensation dampen the tent body at the head and foot where the mesh touches the fly.

Thanks for the helpful review, Jerry!

Light, hard-wearing, fully waterproof, ultra low condensation,…

Price Paid: £212

Summary

Light, hard-wearing, fully waterproof, ultra low condensation, two-layer, one-person tent with lots of internal room and very quick and simple to set up.

Pros

• Comes with footprint (optional, at additional cost, on most other tents)
  • Ultra low condensation, thanks to the mesh inner
  • Does not sag when wet, so guy lines always stay taut
  • Very quick and simple to set up
  • Large side door allows very easy entry and exit
  • 'Shadow/Moss' colour scheme is perfect for blending into the English countryside, making it perfect for stealth camping.
  • Inner can be used without the Fly on hot nights, allowing you to view the stars through the no-seem-um mesh inner.
  • Fully freestanding

Cons

• 'Shadow/Moss' colour scheme is only available in the US and Australia, so you have to buy it online from one of these countries.
  • It's not ultralight
  • The supplied tent pegs are a bit on the heavy side.

Bought mine online from Campsaver in the States to get one in 'Shadow/Moss' colour scheme (which is a sort of camoflage green, which blends well into the countryside). I saved about £87 by doing this, so it was worth the inconvenience of having to wait several weeks for it to arrive.

While waiting for it to arrive I watched some YouTube videos showing how to put up the Tungsten 1P, so when it finally came, I didn't even need to read the instructions on how to set it up...I could instinctively set it up from scratch in about a minute! My previous single layer tent took at least five times longer to set up!

As other reviewers have stated, the original pack size is too big for backpacking. The easy solution, I discovered, is to store the poles seperately, and stuff the footprint, inner, fly and pegs (the pegs are in a seperate storage pouch), into an 8 litre Trekmates Compression sack, which weighs 58g. This cinches the lot down to a much more backpack friendly 10" x 7" (about 25cm x 17cm), with a weight of 1.4kg (without the poles). The poles weigh just over 400g, and in a custom made tent pole pouch, weigh 439g. Bringing the total weight, including the compression sack and tent pole carry pouch, to about 1.8kg (3.96lbs).

Bear in mind, this is including the custom footprint, which comes with the Tungsten 1P as standard. It is an optional extra on most other tents and at an additional cost, so credit is due to Marmot for providing it, effectively for free. You can save at least a hundred grams by leaving the footprint at home. Of course if you do, much more care will be needed to ensure to set the tent up on a smooth surface with no sharp objects, like twigs, sticking up which might pierce the bottom of the tent.

Having said that, the "bathtub" floor is made from heavy-duty 30D material, with a 2000mm Head waterproofing. Some ultralight tents only have an extremely flimsy 7D material floor (!), so whilst the Tungsten 1P is obviously built to last, it's always best to exercise caution when finding the perfect site, and use the supplied footprint, just in case.

The heavy-duty Polyester fabric may not be quite as light as Sil-Nylon, but it is stronger, and fully waterproof. All seams are fulled taped and the design raises the front and back edges of the bath tub floor, where the seams are located, slightly off the ground using something called a catenary cut, ensuring ground water cannot get in. A neat touch.

The fly is made from 20D material, with a 1500mm Head waterproofing. Unlike tents made of Nylon, Polyester does not absorb water, so the fly of the Tungsten 1p does not sag when wet. This means once you have set up your guy lines, they will stay taut the whole night, even if it rains (providing, of course, that they are not made of Nylon too...I use ultralight, ultra-strong Dyneema guy lines, which do not stretch when wet), and it stops the fly touching the mesh inner, preventing any condensation on the inside of the fly getting onto the inner, so you stay dry.

The six tent pegs supplied are made of anodised, hexagonal profile, Aluminium bar, which is strong, but not that light. They weigh at least 16g each (101g for all six), and the supplied tent peg bag weighs a further 7g. So I quickly replaced the pegs with ultralight Titanium alternatives (a mixture of 'shephard hooks' and V profile pegs), and replaced the bag with an ultralight version made by Z-Packs out of Cuben Fiber/DCM. This roughly halves the original weight of the pegs and bag.

The Tungsten 1P is a joy to use, not just because of its ease of setup, but because of its ultra low condensation level. Even during and after a heavy rainstorm at night, I stayed completely cozy and dry inside the whole night.

There is a handy pocket inside to the bottom left of the door, which is large enough to hold various items you want to keep close by, like keys, a torch, snacks, or a mobile phone say. Above your head is a translucent pocket for holding a headlamp. The translucent fabric helps to diffuse the light so it is less dazzling at night.

There is plenty of floor area inside (20 square feet) and the headroom is generous too. I'm 6'1" and even sitting fully upright up I still have several inches above my head inside. The single vestibule is big enough for both my pack and a fully assembled Helinox Chair Zero!

In the UK the normal price is between £268 and £299, but you are limited to a single colour choice...a bright yellow colour, which stands out like a sore thumb in the countryside, which is why I bought one online from the States.

Yes, there are lighter tents available, but they are probably not as dry inside, won't last as long as the Tungsten 1P, or offer such good value for money.

20180421_201348small.jpg
20180421_201833small.jpg

20180422_081130small.jpg
20180422_085438small.jpg

Thanks for the review, Alf. If you have some pictures of your Tungsten in use, those would be great to see in your review too.

Alf Beharie

Thanks Alicia...I have now added some photos.

Thanks, Alf!

1 day ago

Not a backpacking tent...if you're considering this…

Source: tried it in the store

Summary

Not a backpacking tent...if you're considering this tent, be forewarned that is does not pack down compact and is not super light. However, it is a good quality, spacious 1-person tent with nice features.

Pros

• Good for space and vestibule size
  • Fly clips on corners make setup easy
  • Reflective guy points
  • Comes with footprint

Cons

• Packed size...very long
  • Not that light
  • Not a backpacking tent IMO

OK, I haven't used this tent but looked at one in the store...just wanted to save people some frustration if trying to order online as I found the manufacturer's description misleading. I was shocked at how big it was in the stuff sack, and wouldn't say that it's very light.

The Tungsten 1 had lots of great features and would be fine when light and compact isn't necessary. Probably best used for kayak trips, car camping, maybe hunting (the green color is very camo). It comes with a footprint which is great, is very roomy and had a good size vestibule. The fly is particularly nice, and goes on easy.

I think the materials are more durable than "ultralight" tents; the mesh is good no-see-um and the fly and tub floor are clearly built for the long haul. Just too bad the poles don't break down into shorter sections to facilitate compactness.

G00SE

So I've got to admit that NORMALLY I wouldn't give any consideration to a review about a product simply seen in the store. But I feel you provided some good information here. Not necessarily a review, but should someone come to TS to find info on this product, definitely helpful. Thanks, Dean.

Dean Myers

Ya I really hesitated with that review, but as there were no other reviews I thought I'd share my opinion. Despite everything else I read online about the tent, I was still surprised when I actually had it in my hands.

Alf Beharie

Hi Dean...I was looking for a 1 person ultralight backpacking tent recently and watched virtually every available youtube video review for all the different models currently out there. My most important criteria that had to be met was that it was one of the lightest possible options...Until I discovered that most of the lightest models were either ludicrously expensive or had some really off-putting design or construction issues that ruled them out to me. Eventually, after exhaustive research I managed to narrow down all the available choices to just two options...The Nemo Hornet 1P and the Marmot Tungsten 1P. After watching a couple more reviews for the Hornet, that I had missed before, one of them revealed that it had a severe design flaw to the fly, (a great big cutout of material at the rear of the fly, which the reviewer stated greatly reduced its resistance to heavy rain) so I had to rule it out too...And that just left the Tungsten, which although heavier than I would have liked, met every other criteria I had set and desired in a tent. One of the criteria I set, that had to be met if at all possible, was the colour. I am a big fan of stealth camping here in the UK so I really wanted a tent in a drab olive green colour, or something similar, so that it would not stand out when set up in woodland here...Unlike virtually every other tent I had considered, the Tungsten was available in a very similar colour. Problem is, whilst the Tungsten itself is available in the UK, that colour is not! Here you can only buy it in a horrid mango yellow colour. That camo green colour I wanted was only available in the US and Australia. And to make matters worse, the Tungsten costs about £299 here (which is about $426!)...which made it too expensive as my budget was a maximum of £200...I ended up buying one online, from Campsaver in the states, for just £172, including the postage! I am still patiently waiting for it to arrive, but will probably have additional customs fees to pay when it does. Whilst I agree the pack size seems pretty big, I have already thought of a solution...I plan to take tent and poles out of the bag it comes in but then put only the tent in a compression bag to reduce it's volume by up to 50%, and store the poles seperately.

Alf Beharie

Update: The Marmot Tungsten arrived and cost me an additional £40 in customs fees. So the total price I paid was £212 ($274)...A saving of £87 ($113) over buying one here. My solution to the pack length problem works perfectly. I put the footprint, inner, and fly in a blue, 8 litre, Trekmates compression sack...Which compresses all three parts down to a package just 10 inches long x 7 inches in diameter, with a weight of 1405 grams (3 lbs 16oz). I carry the poles seperately in a custom made tent pole bag. I tried it out on one of the hills in Surrey. It rained heavily about an hour after I got inside to go to sleep, but I stayed bone dry throughout. The mesh inner reduced condensation to virtually nothing too, helping me stay ever drier. I replaced the original tent pegs with a selection of ultralight Titanium pegs (V's and shepherd hooks), and I use 1mm olive green Spider Braid Dyneema fishing line as ultralight, but also ultra strong, guy lines (136kg breaking strain!). The Tungsten fits perfectly into the bottom of my Mountain Hardware Scrambler RT-35 Outdry backpack.