NEOS Navigator 5 STABILicers
Reviewers Paid: $123.00
The Navigator 5 with Stabilicers are overboots with studs from NEOS. The Navigator Stabilicer has become the footgear of choice for those who work under the most demanding weather conditions. Just like studded snow tires on your car, Stabilicers are the best way to maneuver in treacherous terrains whether on ice and snow, trails, slopes or even your driveway. The Navigator provides a gaiter extension for high snow levels. Studs work with snowshoes. Don't wear these in the house.
- Expedition quality winter overboots
- Extendable gaiters for deep snow
- Added studs are great for wet ice
- Need to size them carefully
- Needs to have a strip of rubber added for snow shoe straps
NEOS make all kinds of overboots. Lighter, more comfortable, and easier to use for snowshoeing than MICKEY MOUSE boots or Kamiks. These are the high end overboots. Add these to your regular waterproof snow hiking boots for extra waterproofing and warmth. Optional foam inserts are available for ice fishing — gets down to -40° or more protection depending on your inside boot insulation. Comfortable after hours of use.
These are great for winter chores. Easy On & OFF. You can throw these on quick when nature calls when you are winter camping. You can even wear sneakers inside.
Works on the slushy mess that you get at all construction sites. These are used by snowplow drivers everywhere, even by the crews out on the airport runway. You can easily hose them off.
I have fallen thru thin ice crossing streams with these on and they stayed warm and dry. My regular boots were not high enough. I would have been in trouble had I not been wearing these.
- Height: 15", expandable to 20" with inside rolled up gaiters
- Weight: 3.3 lbs (both boots) Add this to your winter boot weight. Micky Mouse boots are 6 pounds.
- 840 Woven polyester upper fabric (1000 ripstop nylon would have been better)
- Duraflex quick-release closure works with mittens on
- NEOS STABILicers outsole (replaceable snow screws into boot soles use nut driver)
- Comfort Rating: -20° F (with slippers on inside)
- 100% Waterproof
- Snowshoe compatible heel (my overboots were missing the snowshoe strap ledge on the back of the heel)
- Fits orthopedic footwear — measure the overall outside dimensions of the boot going inside
I added a strip of rubber to the back above the heel to provide a ledge for snowshoe straps using super glue.
Merrell Moab size 9 waterproof winter hiking boots fit properly.
If you are planning on snow shoeing - make sure they have the correct heels shown above. I have modified some old Grivel Steel 10 point crampons that have the old style leather straps to work with these overboots.
NEOS Navigator 5 with Stabilicers shown with Merrill Moab waterproof winter hiking boots inside fitted on a Redfeather Guide snowshoe ready for winter hiking in really deep snow.
Width was a little snug, but the steel toes were too big for the NEOS.
You need to check all dimensions when you are shopping for NEOS.
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $123 from Brown Bear Canada