Opinel No. 9 Folding Knife

The proven simple and dependable design for over 100+…

Summary

The proven simple and dependable design for over 100+ years.

Pros

• Extremely light
  • Very sharp
  • Simple straightforward design

Cons

• Handle and the pivoting joint are both wood and susceptible to shrinkage and expansion
  • No pouch or sheath

I purchased the #9 model from its indigenous country, France, during a conference meeting I was attending. I have known the knife for some time and wanted to add one into my gear arsenal. The sizes vary from ridiculously small to unnecessarily large. I picked the #9, a little bit larger than the popular #7 or #8.

The first thing noticeable is the fact that it is light, almost feather-like. For those of you minimalist guys, I can definitely suggest this one for the job. The manufacturer offer many of the sizes in both stainless steel, aka inox on the blade, and carbon steel. Carbon is the one produced for a long time. They have then added the stainless steel blade, as well.

Stainless is the one I prefer, but I know lots of people specifically select the carbon due to fact that after using the blade every now and then, the blade, because of the high carbon content inside, starts blackening, giving the knife a character. Well not me, I like everything shiny. I just do not know what kind of steel they use, but there is one thing for sure, that it is sharp, sharp enough to shave a good strip of hair from your arm, right out of the box.

The blade is opened using both hands, it is one 16th of an inch thick, the point is very needle like. Right where the pivoting occurs, when the blade is straightened, there is a rotating jacket, locking the blade both while open and close.

I watched some reviews on Youtube before buying. They were saying there is no other knife on the planet which can beat this one on cost/performance effectiveness. I do not know about that one, but if what you are after is a no-frills, simple knife which can do the primitive to moderate knife work, this might be it. I just liked it.

G00SE

Thanks for the review, aoaltunel.

aoaltunel "al"

it is "Al" in short, you're welcome

Thanks for sharing your recent knife review, Al.

The Opinel No. 9 Folding Knife is not available from the stores we monitor.

Swiftwick Pursuit Four Sock Review