Q&A

Have a question about multi-fuel? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

Lightweight, well built stove. Excellent flame control,…

Summary

Lightweight, well built stove. Excellent flame control, even better than my Whisperlite. Good boiling times. It is loud, so I'd recommend buying a a silencer cap. Have enjoyed using it with the cap. Hike and camp in the Colorado Rockies.

Pros

• Easy lighting
  • Accurate flame control
  • Simmers well
  • Handles different fuels well
  • Good boil time with all fuels
  • Same jet for all fuels
  • Simmers even better with silencer

Cons

• Noisy
  • Needs a third party silencer cap

Bought this after reading and researching a lot of stoves. Was not happy with my WhisperLite Universal, which although better than my old Coleman in some ways, was not as good in others.

Was tired of needing to change "jets" when changing fuels.

This solved my issues and I've been very happy with it.

As I mentioned in the cons, it's a noisy stove without a silencer cap, so I got the Polardawg one. Now it's nice and quiet.

I was amazed at how well the flame adjustment worked with all fuels, liquid or gas. The silencer cap added better control to an already great simmer capability.

Boil times are better than average. If you're in a hurry, though, don't use the silencer cap and it really boils quickly. Timed it when I first got it and it was well above average, but have forgotten the actual times since then. But, I haven't been held up waiting for the stove.

The curved legs add more stability than you get with straight legs.

Mine does well in the wind, but as always, when it gets windy enough, it's time to break out the windscreen, which it came with, along with a ground heat reflector. I like to use windscreens in the cold, even when it isn't windy, to concentrate the heat. So there's another use for the windscreen.

The connections to gas and liquid are easy to do. With the fitting on the pump, you don't need to swap adapters.

Experience

Have used this stove fishing, camping, hunting, and on work sites. Has been a great stove and reliable too.

Thanks for the helpful review of your Optimus, Sam!

300winmag

I very much like the ability to simmer as it saves fuel. I sold an MSR Dragonfly, a great simmer stove, B/C it was just too heavy. And I DID get an MSR Whisperlite Universal 3 fuel stove mainly for winter and car camping. It works very well and changing jets before a trip is not a problem. But yeah, I wish it could simmer. :o(

300winmag

BTW, It looks like the "SilencerCap" makes the Optifuel less efficient. Is this correct?