Q&A

Have a question about camp saws? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

Best folding saw on the market! Made for pruning trees,…

Price Paid: $61.95 from Sherrill Tree. http://www.sherrilltree.com/tools-hardware/hand-saws

Summary

Best folding saw on the market!

Pros

• Fast, smooth cutting
  • Lightweight (14.2 oz)
  • Comfortable, rubbery grip, no hot spots
  • Multi-positional locking blade
  • Slim packing profile
  • Cuts on pull stroke

Cons

• Difficult to resharpen

400_BIGBOY-354_36_07.jpg

Made for pruning trees, it's a 360mm folding hand saw, 14.2-in blade 30.11-in overall length, 6 teeth per inch.
It is listed at 1 lb but my saw only weighs 14.5 oz.

See more at: http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Folding-Straight_2/Silkys-BIGBOY-360mm-LG-Teeth-Hand-Saw#sthash.WDZVIYmr.dpuf

The standard bearer for small folding camp saws is the Bahco Laplander. It is the predominant and most often seen saw among campers and bushcrafters. My buddy bought one and it is an OK saw, but the Silky blows it away.

Silky makes several different saws in various lengths and with various tooth patterns. I chose the "Big Boy" with LARGE teeth.

This saw goes through logs like hot butter.

It has a two position locking stainless steel blade.  It is a thin blade which takes a narrow kerf and has a slight reverse taper to help eliminate pinching.

The cut is very smooth, thanks to the Japanese style teeth as used on saws intended for fine woodworking in Japanese woodworking and cabinetmaking.

Here is a video showing the saw in action. I hope it's OK to post this here. If not, I won't be offended if it is removed.

I have used various other saws including bow saws, other folding saws, Sven saws, etc.  None have ever performed like the Silky. To beat this bad boy it's going to take a chainsaw!

Nice saw review, Cadenza. Thanks for being the first to review a Silky. Also, embedding YouTube and Vimeo links is fine in reviews. Yours wasn't showing though, so I inserted what may be the one you wanted if not. Let me know if you can't update it to the one you want.

G00SE

Thanks for the review, Cadenza.

Done!

Flatwaterkayak

A sheath is also available for the Big Boy which I really like when I've cut wood a distance from my fire. I can holster the saw and carry the wood.