Current Retail: $62.63-$134.73
Historic Range: $62.63-$179.00
Reviewers Paid: $35.00
2.2 oz / 61 g
48% polyester, 41% nylon, 11% spandex, stretch woven double weave
Medium weight soft shell jacket. Excellent general purpose jacket for travel, work, chores, casual wear.
- Wind resistant
- Water repellent
- Workwear appearance
- Deep hand pockets
- Hem drawstring
- Chest pockets
- Inside chest pocket
- Typical softshell bandwidth: no insulation, not waterproof, heavy for a wind shell
The Outdoor Research Prologue Field Jacket is a good general purpose jacket for mild conditions. It is what I consider a medium weight soft shell providing protection wind and light rain and the smooth looks of a soft shell. Good for travel, chores, work, and errands. I purchased this jacket with cool weather urban walks and travel in mind.
Soft shell jackets provide protection from wind and light rain, but offer no real insulation value. I see them as a "synthetic denim jacket" for warmth and utility. They do offer more abrasion resistance than an ultralight wind shell. They travel well with good wrinkle resistance and the smooth face fabric looks good for casual wear. They need a mid layer for real warmth.
This jacket measures 24 inches across the armpits and 31 inches at the back length in XL size. it weighs 19.8 ounces on my digital postal scale. It is a step up in weight from a lighter soft shell like the OR Ferrosi Jacket which has the same dimensions and weighing 12.8 ounces. It is not as breathable or stretchy as the Ferrosi and has more abrasion resistance.
I have a 46-inch chest and the XL is comfortably loose with room for a light midlayer like a Patagonia R1 fleece jacket. Length is good for me and the midlayer isn't peeking out under the hem and gives good draft protection with a hem drawstring. I can zip it all the way up with room at the top of the collar (I have an 18-inch neck).
The styling is on the work wear side. The two upper chest pockets add a great deal to that look. The rest is typical smooth face synthetic soft shell look. Low key logo reflective logo at lower left. Heathered earth tone colors.
- Medium weight stretch soft shell fabric
- Full front YKK zipper with single slider and extended pull, "beard guard" at top.
- Deep zippered hand pockets with extended pulls; half the pockets are mesh lined
- Vertical zippered pocket inside left chest
- Bellows upper chest pockets with flap and snap
- Snap cuffs with gussets
- Elastic hem drawstring
- Stand up collar with microfleece lining
- Smooth synthetic front panel lining (fabric not specified)
- Reflective OR logo below left hand pocket
- Earth tone color offerings
- Fabric: 48% polyester, 41% nylon, 11% spandex, stretch woven double weave
- Fabric weight : 2.2oz./61g
- Total weight XL size: 19.8 ounces
- Manufacturer's model number 264426
- Production date: Spring 2019
International travel, wilderness backpacking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, fishing, cycling, kayaking, and sailing.
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $35