Schrade Ferro Rod Fire Striker

photo: Schrade Ferro Rod Fire Striker fire starter

Price Reviewers Paid: $6.19

This is a small lightweight ferro rod and striker on a lanyard. I would recommend this item for an emergency situation, ie bug out bag, get home bag, or backup in hiking/camping gear.

Pros

• Well made
  • Small and compact
  • Good handle

Cons

• The lanyard is made with some really cheap cordage. I replaced it with paracord.
  • Small diameter ferro rod

So I picked this item up from Amazon mainly due to the price. However, I was very pleased with the product. It appears to be well made and does throw a good amount of sparks. It is only 1/4" diameter, so if you are needing something bigger, this isn't for you.

But for an emergency fire starter or a backup fire starter, this would be perfect. The main thing I didn't like about the product was the cheap cordage used to attach the ferro rod to the striker. I replaced this with a section of paracord and love it. I didn't like the loop. I would highly recommend this product.

Check out my YouTube review of it and see for yourself.

Experience

I have owned this product for about a month and have used it a few times in order to complete a review of the product. I have been using various fire starting methods for many years. This isn't the best I have ever used, but it by far isn't the worst either.

Thanks for the info and review, mrgriff82. I hope you'll keep us posted on how this fire starter continues to work out for you.

Review Your Gear: Win Rab Insulation

Klymit Insulated Double V Review

Sea to Summit Nano Mosquito Pyramid Net Shelter Review

Patiently Awaiting Winter Hiking...

Drop + Dan Durston X-Mid 1P Tent Review