Sea to Summit Sigma Stainless Steel Pot

The best thing about this (the handle) is also the…

Price Paid: 59AUD

Summary

The best thing about this (the handle) is also the worst.

Pros

• Light for SS
  • Lid is great as it has strainer and hanger
  • Handle is potentially brilliant

Cons

• Handle is let down by plastic locking clip—it just isn't strong enough for the bigger pots.

I have used many pots over the years—from old coffee tins through to fancy European aluminium art works (wish I had kept my Sigg billies...) For the longest time I have used MSR alpine pots as they are completely bomb proof and I haven't really found anything better. I am doing a lot of cycle touring with my two kids these days and needed something capable of making tea, porridge, or pasta for three—we had been using a 3L MSR pot but that takes up half a pannier!

I purchased the 2.7L Sigma pot to save a bit of space and weight— the SS is much thinner than on the alpine pots so the weight is pretty good, as is the shape. What really got me in was the built-in handle that acts as a lid clip and the strainer lid with holding clip. It looks like S2S have really thought about how people actually use these things in the wild and hats off to a great design.

Being thin, you need a stove that can be turned right down—but I have cooked curries, eggs, porridge with no problems. The largish radius at the bottom makes cleanup easy. The clip for holding the lid on the side of the pan is a great feature and the strainer lid is super useful. S2S tell you not to, but cooking on a fire is perfectly doable as long as you are sensible about it. The steel will still cop some denting but nothing fatal and nothing like aluminium pots. Not having to carry pot grippers (or Paddy fingers as they are called in Oz) is also handy.

I would be ready to put my beaten up alpine pots into retirement except for one thing—the handle has a nasty habit of letting go! With a full load of pasta, and given that you need to press down a bit on the lid to strain, the clip lock has let go on several occasions. We've all been there, with a pile of steaming pasta own the ground and many muttered expletives, one is in for a gritty dinner...

I think it probably works fine on the smaller pots, but it just doesn't scale to the larger sizes. The culprit is (as is so often the case) the plastic pivot clip lock. It is some sort of nylon and just doesn't have enough mojo to prevent the handle swinging away and dumping dinner. It needs to be much better because losing food is the best you can hope for and unless you are nimble, personal injury could easily occur.

If you remember to pour to the left instead of right—it doesn't seem to be a problem because the forces are working to keep the handle in place—but I don't always remember that and I don't really trust the pot as a result.

Overall, it is intelligently designed and the manufacturing quality is great. S2S's heart is clearly in the right place, but someone cut corners on testing the handle mechanism. Plastic has its place but this isn't one of them. If they fix that, this is a 10 out of 10 and destined to become a classic. I had to rate it two stars because despite all the good ideas, the pot is is potentially dangerous.

Experience

40+ years of bush cooking, dozens of meals with this particular pot.

Thanks for the helpful review, Otter. Welcome to Trailspace! I'm curious to see some closeup pictures of your pot showing the handle issues, if you're willing to add some to your review. Thanks!