Skratch Labs Anytime Energy Bar

Q&A

Have a question about bars? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

These new bars from Skratch are a nice change from…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Skratch Labs)

Summary

These new bars from Skratch are a nice change from the overly sugary bars we usually encounter.

Pros

• Great taste
  • Not overly sweet
  • Made from ingredients you can pronounce
  • Nice balance of carbs/protein/fiber

Cons

• Does the world really need another nutrition bar?

Most endurance athletes are familiar with Skratch Labs. Their energy and electrolyte drink mixes are the stuff of legend. The founder of the company, Alan Lim, was a nutritionist for several professional cycling teams (BMC, Radio Shack, Garmin), and developed his "secret drink mix" after fielding complaints from cyclists about the electrolyte drinks that they were forced to drink. Along with Chef Biju Thomas, he coauthored a cookbook for endurance athletes, which has become the "go to" for many athletes.

20180608_080609.jpg

When I saw that Skratch was releasing nutrition bars, I thought "does the world really need another bar?" (energy, not drinking establishment)  But they were sending out free three packs of their new bars, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The appearance of the bars is about like many others we are familiar with (Clif, ProBar, etc), so nothing new here. But the first thing one notices about them at first taste, is that they are not overly sweet. Indeed, the amount of added sugar is minimal, so one doesn't feel like you are having dessert in the middle of the day. Skratch has three flavors:

• Chocolate Chip and Almonds: This one is what you might expect, just not as sweet as some bars out there.
  • Cherries and Pistachios: This is my favorite of the three. Nice mouthfeel, with just enough sweetness, without all the added sugar.
  • Ginger and Miso: This one made me skratch my head a little. But like the others, the flavors aren't overwhelming. The least-sweet of the three, the miso flavor is subtle, and the ginger kicks it up a notch, with just a little bit of "bite."

20180608_122658.jpg

All in all, I liked these bars. They are just enough when you want a little bit of energy for that last part of a hike or ride, without making you feel full or bloated. And it would even be a good mid-day snack, during that last couple of hours of your workday, when you are starting to think about dinner.

I will purchase these in the future. They are tasty and not too heavy, with good nutritional value.

I hadn't seen these yet, so thanks for the recommendation, David. I'll have to try them out, as I've liked other Skratch products. Now that they've done an energy bar, an after-activity protein bar would be another nice addition.

David Link

I like their recovery drink, so a protein bar seems like the next logical step.

I agree.

Old Guide

How many calories do these bars have?

200-210 calories per bar, Old Guide.

Old Guide