Snugpak Insulated Jungle Travel Blanket

I concur! Thanks for the comprehensive reviews. I…

Summary

I concur! Thanks for the comprehensive reviews.

Pros

• WARM
  • 25 ounces—lighter than a 32-ounce poncho liner
  • Conservatively Comfort Rated to 40º
  • Did I mention—WARM?

Cons

• Compression stuff sack could be a better design

I bought this as a slightly warmer alternative to the standard military poncho liner "wooble" I usually carry for summer hikes. This is a little smaller, but is also about 8 ounces lighter than the poncho liner in a stuff sack.

First test was on a cold, dreary night in my living room (smirk). I pulled the Snugpak out of its storage bag, unrolled it, and pulled it over me while watching TV. I immediately noticed it was warm—noticeably warmer than a poncho liner I usually keep handy.

Second test, outside by the fire pit on a chilly, misty 34º night. This blanket is a lot more breeze resistant than any poncho liner I've ever owned.

Third test—stuffing it. Some people might always roll their sleeping bag, down coat, jungle blanket, camp pillow etc. I usually just stuff my stuff. The Jungle Blanket stuffs perfectly into its stuff sack without worrying about any OCD roll up method. I think it has replaced my wooble!

Of note: The stuff sack uses the compression straps across the drawstring opening of the bag. While this design is likely meant to keep weight low, it's a bit cumbersome and clumsy. If the bag had a removable top cap (like other brands), it would allow for more vertical compression. Size matters!

I had read several reviews before purchasing and some complained about the stitching and batting. Mine is double stitched around the edges (new feature?) and doesn't seem to have a single flaw in construction. This will have to be a test of time, but so far, not a single issue.

I did see that Snugpak at one time may have offered an XL version. Again—Size matters! Their product distribution in the U.S. is limited, and I could find no further details other than the listing. A few phone calls to "suggested retailers" was less than successful, but I would love to have that little extra length...if I can find one!

Thanks for the review, NJHiker! I hope you keep us posted on how your Jungle Blanket continues to work out. I'd also love to see some pictures of yours in your review.

1 year ago
G00SE

Okay, I need to see a pic. thanks!

1 year ago

Awesome alternative to a sleeping bag! Weighs nothing,…

Summary

Awesome alternative to a sleeping bag! Weighs nothing, compresses small.

Pros

• Weight is 25 ounces
  • Soft
  • Compression size is 5x5

We started hammock camping this season and I am usually a hot sleeper anyway, so I have been looking for something not quite as heavy as my Cat's Meow bag and at the same time, something warm and taking up less space than the sleeping bag in my pack.

I was reading reviews on the Sea to Summit liners on this site and someone mentioned this Jungle Blanket in their review.

I purchased it on Amazon and was able to take it with me on a long hike in March 2016.

I LOVE IT! Our nights were down to about 45 degrees and I was perfectly warm with just this and my base layer of clothing (and an under quilt). I was not cold whatsoever. I personally sleep hot so I feel that I would even be warm in this in a bit colder temperature possibly down to 40 degrees or so.

It comes with an nice compression bag and I was able to get this down to about a 5x5 size to fit in my pack.

It is water resistant (not waterproof) and that was put to the test when we encountered a night of thunderstorms while in the hammocks. One of the tarps was holding water and the wind lifted it, pouring cold water into my hammock and onto this blanket. It resisted fine (as did my hammock) and after shaking it off I was nice and dry again.

Highly recommended as a sleeping bag alternative and even a couch throw.

Thanks for the review, Christy. It's always nice to hear how a Trailspace review helped someone else find good gear.

It did exactly what I wanted it to. It provided a…

Summary

It did exactly what I wanted it to. It provided a small package and a nice, big, perfect temp and performance item. It can be kept in the car for a blanket to lie on or watch the stars or used sitting around on those chilly nights around the campfire or even by the fireplace. The uses are endless.

Pros

• Price
  • Multi function
  • Weight
  • Materials
  • Stuff sack
  • Its size

Cons

• As of right now haven't found any
  • Maybe more colors

I had seen the previous post and I already am a fan of Snugpak and own the jungle bag. Well, I found one for $24.50 and to be honest just needed a temporary blanket for my bed, so why not?

It was instant love! It's so comfortable and I knew I had to get it up to the cabin and as always we all arranged to go up during or while still happening a meteor shower. I used this around the campfires at night or let some others use it a blanket most every night and after just following the washing instructions it's back on my bed.

For $24.50 it's hard to go wrong, and with all its potential uses it's hard not to buy! I'm sure with this blanket and my Jungle bag I've extended my camping season this year, so it's definitely proven its worth to me.

Thanks for the review, Tracker. Do you have any pictures of this blanket you'd be willing to share in your review to show others its multiple uses?