U.S. Military MSS (Modular Sleep System) Patrol

photo: U.S. Military MSS (Modular Sleep System) Patrol cold weather synthetic sleeping bag

I have the Patrol bag from the MSS. Nice outer bag with top grade mil spec materials. Grabbed it on sale for $50 CAD. Have seen the system with Bivy bag and Intermediate bag for reasonable dollars. Looking forward to some early fall deer hunting camp.

Pros

• Tough materials
  • Synthetic poly fill
  • Works when damp, which feather down will fail to insulate

Cons

• Have read that the MSS bivy bag is not very roomy. Being 6’3" I think I will look for another bivy bag. Happy with the Patrol bag purchase.

Always understood that military specifications were standards that were rigorous and that gear approved for our nation's forces was made to hold up to hard use and give years of service. Good enough for the military, then that is good enough for me.

I have the MSS Patrol bag and have been impressed with the quality and fit so far. At 6'3" and 245 lbs I was glad that the bag has suitable room for me to sleep comfortably. Haven‘t tried the intermediate bag or bivy so cannot comment on those. Thank you.

Experience

Great quality piece of kit.

Source: bought it used
Price Paid: $50 CAD

Welcome to Trailspace, Michael. I hope you'll update us on how your bag works out this fall.

Win Kora Wool Activewear for Year-Round Adventuring

Kuiu Peloton 97 Fleece Zip-T Hoodie Review

Lowe Alpine Mesa 6 Review

Maine Fall Color - 2 Night GLT East Side

Coleman Northern Nova Review

Which Leather Waterproofing/Conditioner Do You Use and Why?