Xero Shoes Z-Trail

1 comment

Summary

I tried these on a couple of hikes, for use as a camp shoe, for swimming and creek crossing, etc. But I soon gave up on them, not just due to the poor sole protection and the lateral movement that were cited, but also due to dirt and gravel quickly getting into the sandals (drier conditions) and water (wetter conditions).

Pros

• Super lightweight
  • Decent design and construction for the weight

Cons

• Not sturdy enough for most people
  • Does not keep out debris very well

The lightweight simply wasn't worth it to me.

I recommend something sturdier unless you have ideal trail conditions and feet that can handle the stress.

Added:

Try "Gold Pigeon" sandals, model 5931. I'm very happy with them after a year's usage. Much sturdier and not much heavier (14 oz for my EU 44 pair). Name brand U.S. sandals can be excellent but often weigh twice as much (I'm a PCT hiker).

Thanks for sharing your experience with these sandals, Dick. Did you move on to another camp shoe that worked better for you?

Have you owned or used a Xero Shoes Men's Z-Trail? Share your experience »