Today at Outdoor Retailer, SPOT introduced its next generation SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger. At 5.2 ounces, the new SPOT is 30 percent smaller and lighter than the original SPOT Satellite personal tracker device (7.37 ounces).
The upgraded unit has additional custom messaging modes and a new enhanced satellite antenna for improved performance in foliage or canopied environments (satellite location accuracy is 21 feet). It uses a state-of-the-art GPS chipset for faster GPS acquisition.
The new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger has two notification LED’s—a GPS Acquisition light and a Message Sending indicator light—and six, illuminated (backlit) function buttons with globally recognized symbols to transmit activated messages, including a dedicated GPS tracking button.
SPOT Function Buttons:
- OK/Check In lets your contacts (up to 10 contacts via phone or e-mail) know where you are and that you’re okay. It attempts to send three messages to help ensure successful transmission, with contacts receiving one message.
- Track Progress allows contacts to track your progress in real-time using Google Maps. It acquires your GPS location every 10 minutes for 24 hours, and sends each location one time, along with your previous two track points.
- Help/SPOT Assist notifies your contacts or SPOT Assist professional services of your GPS location and need for assistance every 5 minutes for 1 hour.
- SOS/9-1-1 Alert notifies an emergency rescue coordination center of your GPS location every 5 minutes until your unit’s batteries die or you cancel (1,350 transmissions on fresh batteries).
- Custom Message sends a pre-programmed non-urgent message to your personal contacts.
The S.O.S. and Help buttons now have protective, replaceable covers to prevent inadvertent emergency message transmission. The unit comes in a choice of SPOT’s recognizable orange and black color scheme or a new silver and black color scheme. A case and neoprene fastening armband are included.
Available: at select retailers in late fall 2009
Size: 3.7" x 2.6" x 1.0"
Weight: 5.2 ounces
For an in-depth review of the original SPOT, read I’m Lost, Help Find Me: A SPOT Gear Test.