Outdoor Retailer: Kelty lights, vintage packs, pads
For spring 2011, Kelty is introducing its first-ever line of lights. Five models include a personal aluminum model for backpacking trips and a 360-degree pivoting lantern for basecamp. Scott Kaier showed us the goods:
- LumaTech: 5.6 oz., 4-22 lumen output, 5.5" H, $30
- LumaTrail: 7 oz., 4-22 lumen output, 6.3" H, $20
- LuamPivot: 15.9 oz., 112-210 lumens, 9.5"H, $50
- LumaTwist: 20.8 oz., 125-350 lumens, 6" H, $60
- LumaCamp: 26.8 oz., 310-392 lumens, 9.8" H, $45
If you're feeling nostalgic for your vintage Kelty pack or just want to go retro, you'll soon be able to buy a 1960s or '70s replica pack, based on designs from the Kelty archive.
The line of vintage-designed packs, including the Mockingbird rucksack (at right) with removable side pockets, is largely for urban use. Organizational updates have been made, meaning you'll be able to fit your latpop and stow away your cell and other non-retro gadgets in specific pockets.
- Mockingbird: 1725 cubic inches, $124.95
Lastly, Kelty is introducing the Recluse 2.5 sleeping pad (below) in insulated and non-insulated versions for backpackers looking for extra comfort.
Both pads have a channel design, with larger outer channels to cradle and center you, as well as a hidden, integrated hand pump on the side that won't let air escape while you pump.
- Recluse 2.5ni (non-insulated): 1 lb. 15 oz., 78" long, $69.95
- Recluse 2.5i (insulated): 60 g synthetic insulation bonded to top layer, 2 lbs. 6 oz., 78" long, $79.95