With DeLorme's inReach two-way GPS satellite communicator, users won't be left wondering if rescuers received their emergency message about a broken leg in the backcountry, or if Mom got the text update on their summit attempt.
The inReach unit signals with a flashing green light if your message was sent, or stays red if it's still trying and you should move to higher ground. Plus, users can receive replies to their 160-character text messages from friends or rescuers for two-way communication.
"We wanted to nail the two-way system," said Chip Noble of DeLorme of the company's decision to focus on something innovative.
The inReach will come in two separate versions and can be paired with either DeLorme's PN-60W GPS receiver (green inReach logo) or an Android smartphone via bluetooth (blue inReach logo). It also can be used alone for basic message updates and SOS alerts.
"I'm excited for the product in a purely selfish way," said Noble, citing the value of being able to hear updates from family when he's out on a trip.
Noble demonstrated the DeLorme inReach 2-way GPS satellite communicator to us at Outdoor Retailer.
DeLorme inReach Features
- Dimensions: 3.36" H (4.78" including antenna), 2.85" W, 1.73" D
- Weight: 7.9 oz without batteries
- two-way satellite messaging, when paired with DeLorme PN-60w or Android phone
- interactive SOS, allows you to describe your situation to rescuers and stay in touch
- delivery confirmation, assures you your text message or SOS was received
- can send text messages to cell phones and email addresses, and add contacts in the field
- pole-to-pole global coverage through Iridium satellite network
- user activated remote tracking, automatically triggered by an SOS
- tracking intervals can be as close together as two minutes or far apart as four hours
- waterproof (IPX7), floatable, impact-resistant (Mil STD 810F)
- uses 2 AA batteries, lithiums recommended, but also supports alkalines.
The DeLorme inReach will be available October 2011 for $249.95, plus a one-year subscription plan of $9.95-$49.95 a month, depending on level of service.