Carhartt 10-inch Insulated Composite Toe Pac Boots

photo: Carhartt 10-inch Insulated Composite Toe Pac Boots winter boot

Price MSRP: $229.99
Current Retail: $169.99
Reviewers Paid: $204.00

Winter waterproof leather top 10-inch insulated boots with composite safety toe.
For outdoor work in wet snow and ice. Can be used for ice fishing, winter camping, directing traffic, outdoor work.
Not hiking boots, no removable inner boots.

Pros

• Warm
  • Sheds snow, no clumps
  • OrthoLite liner
  • Lightfire insulation
  • waterproof bottom section
  • Lower laces have a lock tight hook (Jam Cleat)
  • Fits true to size

Cons

• 2 pounds each boot
  • Hard to put on if you don't loosen the laces

Carhartt Winter Boots

IMG_0216-1-.jpg
IMG_0217-1-.jpg
IMG_0218-1-.jpg
Ahh, winter.

Yes. Winter.

Carhartt Boots.

Model CMC1259-080-M, size 9, medium width.

These boots do not have removable inner liner boots like my Kamik International pack boots. They have removable OrthoLite performance insoles that wick away moisture and resist odor.

Weight

These boots weigh less than 2 pounds each boot.

Kamiks, LL Beans, ALICO, and Mickey Mouse boots are all heavier.

Waterproof

These boots are waterproof. If I find then getting damp, I may invest in some boot dryers.

Size

True to size.

I normally wear size 8.5 shoes. I bought size 9 medium boots and wear Smartwool Mountaineer socks with them. With the laces all tightened up, I do not get any rubbing or heel lift.

Support

They are over the ankle boots with much better support, features and traction that LL Bean leather upper boots.

Construction and Durability

Made in China. The stitching is sloppy. There are a lot of seams in the leather uppers. There are threads loose inside. Even the labels are crooked. The laces are the thinnest boot laces that I have ever seen. If they wear out real fast or have defects, I will post an update.

I have had these boots for only two weeks.

Snowshoes

These boots fit my Tubbs snowshoes. They have the required snowshoe strap ledge above the heels to prevent the strap from falling off. I have not tried my Redfeather, MTN, or MSR snowshoes with these yet.

Crampons and Traction Aids

These boots fit my old 12 point Grivel steel crampons. They work OK with Kahtoola Microspikes and the slip on ICEtrekkers shoe/boot Diamond Grips.

Temperature Control

These boots do not cause my feet to sweat as do my old LL BEAN rubber boots or my Mickey Mouse Boots—the ones with the air valve. They are not as warm as my Kamiks.

Traction

I have worn them in below freezing and they do not clog up with snow as much as the Kamiks. These boots have a Carhartt lug pattern. While the soles are not VIBRAM, they work OK for what they are designed for.

Standards

ASTM 2413-11 EH and SATRA TM49. The EH & S people at work say these boots are OK to wear at work where you need safety shoes. The composite toes are equivalent to steel toes. Who wants to wear steel toes in snow and ice? The local telephone company linemen all wear these boots.

Features

The boots have a jam cleat in the middle of the laces. This allows the lower shoe portion of the boot laces to stay tight. You can tie the ankle section of the laces looser. For landlubbers, a jam cleat holds a line tight when pulled in one direction and releases when the shoelace is pulled outwards from the cleat.

There are several reviews on the WEB stating that people can't get these boots on. I suspect the complaining reviewers did not release the laces from the jam cleats first before trying them on or taking them off.

Appearance

The first thought that occurs to most people when they see these boots is: "Frankenstein Boots".

The extra large toes are pointed up slightly and the extra room keep your tootsies warm, but these things are not a fashion statement.

Conditions

Winter blizzard 6-10 inches snow.

g00se

Thanks for the great review, Boo. 2 pounds each?!?! Yikes!

Thanks for the review, Boo. Down to how cold do these keep your feet warm?

How to Get Outside and Recreate Responsibly this Winter

NativesOutdoors White Shell Mountain Beanie Review

Sea to Summit Comfort Deluxe Insulated Mat Review

Mountain Equipment Glacier 700 Review

MSR DragonFly Review

Does anyone have plans to build something like this