Therm-a-Rest LuxuryLite Mesh Cot

Length 183 cm / 72 in
Height 11 cm / 4.5 in
Packed Size 43 x 15 cm / 16 x 6 in
Capacity 158.8 kg / 350 lb

A great product for those with bad backs. Even with…

Summary

A great product for those with bad backs. Even with a 4-inch thick luxury pad, I just can't sleep on the ground anymore, and hammocks gave me mixed back pain results. The LuxuryLite Cot (XL) has proven to be very comfortable for me. The bows get easier to put in/take out over time. I'm enjoying camping again so much more!

Pros

• Light, easy to assemble (be patient)
  • Sturdy when properly cared for

Cons

• Bows are hard to put in/take out til broken in

I've been using the Therm-a-Rest LuxuryLite XL for several months now, and I find it very comfortable. I'm in my 50's, and have simply had too many back injuries to sleep comfortably on the ground anymore, even with my TaR Mondoking 3D pad. I had even tried hammock camping, but had mixed results with back pain.

I've found the combo of my LuxuryLite and the MondoKing to be stellar for no nighttime thrashing, and no morning back pain. I have used the LuxuryLite in my four person tent, and plan to use it in my vehicle for some four-season car camping this winter. I'm also considering trying this with the TaR Cot Tent for motorcycle camping next year.

The cot breaks down to a small, lightweight package that is easily put into a backpack. Yes, it's a couple pounds. Yes, it's heavier than the super light blow up pad you've been using, and takes up more space. If you're stuck on counting ounces and carrying a little day pack for your 72-hour trail jaunt, then this isn't for you. But if you are heading out into the wilderness with a full-size pack and want relief from sleeping on the ground—this is your huckleberry.

I've read complaints about the bow-shaped supports being too hard to put in and take out. First, it's a tension system that has to hold your weight, not a 10 lb aluminum fold-up frame like a Coleman/Cabelas/Texsport cot. Next, after several uses, they get easier to assemble and disassemble.

A word to ease of use—in a four-person tent like I have used several times...no problem. Try to assemble this for use in a solo tent... good luck. It can be done, and you'll need to be creative about holding the shock-corded longitudinal poles apart so you can fold the cot in half to get it into your solo shelter—but it can be done. The XL is too wide (30") for some solo tents, so pay attention to what you want versus what you'll be sleeping in.

Could it be better? Sure—what couldn't? But in my opinion, the comfort bang-for-the-buck is there. Lack of sleep can be dealt with for a weekend of car camping—ask any parent. But this thing is capable of going into the wild, on extended trips, and giving you a wonderful night's rest so you can do miles and miles, day after day.

Thanks for the helpful review of your cot, Joel! If you have some pictures of it in use, those would be great to see in your review too.