Weight 210 g / 7 oz

Therm-a-Rest’s Slacker Hammock Warmer is a lightweight,…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by Therm-a-Rest for testing and review)

Summary

Therm-a-Rest’s Slacker Hammock Warmer is a lightweight, quick attachment to cut the chill on mild summer evenings. It is not an under quilt, nor does it provide three-season insulation. What it does, it does well. However, what it does is limited and is very expensive for a few degrees of comfort.

Pros

• Cuts the wind
  • Repels rain
  • Lightweight (7oz)
  • Adds of few degrees of comfort

Cons

• Limited temperature range
  • Drab color
  • Pricey

A Warmer, NOT an Underquilt

Therm-a-Rest is coming in rather late to the hammock game. Rather than target avid backcountry hammock users— who tend to rely on cottage industry manufacturers—marketing for the “Slacker” line of products is focused on day trips and the occasional overnight hang. An example of this is TaR’s promotional write up of the Hammock Warmer:

“Therm-a-Rest’s lightweight Slacker Hammock Warmer helps warm up a nap or night out with a reflective ThermaCapture surface that redirects radiant heat back to you.”

Responding directly to TaR’s explanation of the Hammock Warmer, this reviewer feels it is only fair to evaluate it for its intended use. The Hammock Warmer is NOT an underquilt, nor is it designed for cold weather usage. It would simply not be fair to review it based on what I would want it to be. My 4-star rating is based on the item meeting the manufacturer’s claims and the value I find it.

20151001_172741.jpg

What It Does, It Does Well…

Anyone who spends time in a hammock knows that your underside begins to get cold when temperatures get below 70°F, and even a slight breeze can affect that. A steady 3-5mph wind passing through a nylon hammock can make a 75°F hang a bit uncomfortable after a while. The Hammock Warmer effectively cuts the wind and adds comfort to about 65°F.

I first hung the warmer on a sunny, 70°F October afternoon. There was a 3 mph breeze—enough to make uninsulated hanging a bit uncomfortable. I immediately felt the effects of the Hammock Warmer. The wind was completely cut off from reaching me, and the reflective backing of the ThermaCapture surface warmed me up nicely. How I wish I could have napped the afternoon away with that setup!

20151001_171858.jpg
ThermaCapture reflective surface

I returned to the hammock that evening, to spend the night in it. None of the materials I read mentioned a temperature rating for the Hammock Warmer. I went to bed guessing I could take it down to 65°F. I was pretty close! At 68°F, I could feel my backside getting cold. I should mention I am a cold sleeper, and I think warm sleepers could take this unit down a few more degrees.

Being prepared, I pulled a foam pad into the hammock and slept comfortably all night, without needing a pad extender around my shoulders (For an explanation of pad extenders, please read the linked review.).

Screenshot_2015-10-01-17-31-03.png
Screenshot of the weather
station 3 miles from my location

I spent a total of 10 October nights using the Hammock Warmer. Anything above 50°F worked well with just the foam pad. As temperatures dropped further, I added my 3/4 JRB underquilt between the Hammock Warmer and my hammock. I very much liked the fact that the Hammock Warmer always cut the wind, and on a particular rainy, windy night my hammock and underquilt remained dry, with a bit of external moisture on the Hammock Warmer.

20151031_122939.jpg
Wet, windy camping

Attachment/Fit to Hammock

TaR’s promotional literature states the Hammock Warmer is designed to fit its Slacker Hammock. In fact, the Hammock Warmer fits any gathered end hammock. It clips into any hammock that uses carabineers at the ends. With the hammock I was using, I simply threw a couple of half hitches into the line, and it worked perfectly fine.

20151001_173754.jpg

Weight & Size

I already mentioned the Hammock Warmer is only 7oz. Factory folded, I could slip the warmer into my back pocket. After repackaging it, I could still stuff it in the cargo pocket of my pants.

20151001_163104.jpg
Unfolded, the Hammock Warmer measures 6'x4'. This is wide enough for TaR's (or any) double wide hammock, and long enough for most any user. (For those unfamiliar with hammock under quilts, you only need the unit to run between your shoulders and feet.) Pictured below, you can see the warmer comfortably hugging my 11'L x 6'W DangerBird.

20151001_172807.jpg

What It Does is Limited and Expensive…

For what the Hammock Warmer sets out to do, it does so flawlessly. But I have a big problem with a suggested retail price of $70 for something that is only going to give a user 5 degrees of added comfort.

By comparison, TaR’s own foam pads are only $15 and provide more insulating value. ENO sells full underquilts for as little as $100. And few years ago, I snatched up an arm load of windshield sun reflectors for $1/each (Used as a pad, these are essentially the same thing as ThermaCapture.).

This Hammock Warmer works well, but what it provides is definitely not worth a $70 price tag. At most, this is a $20-$25 investment. So 5-stars on living up to its intended purpose, and 3-stars for the price point.

Note: At the time of this review, the Hammock Warmer has not hit the market. There is a chance this retail price may change before it is released.

Daniel Oates

I knew you weren't too fond of TaR's Slacker Hammock, so I'm glad to hear the warmer worked out better. Thanks, G00SE!

Ashleigh

Nice review, G00SE! Is this the only one of these on the market? I haven't ever seen anything like this before. It looks like it is really helpful with cutting wind.

G00SE

I haven't seen something like this before. I think most casual hammock users dont think about bottom insulation. Most serious hangers go straight to quilts. I posted this review on a hammock FB group, and most of the comments were questioning the usefulness of this product. BUT TaR's target audience isnt serious hangers. They appear to be goig after casual hangers

G00SE

...that's fine, but they will need to educate those casual hangers enough to create the need (but not too much or they will drive folks to quilts)

DrPhun

Is it breathable, or would there be condensation? How is it different than an underquilt protector? The reflective coating?

G00SE

Its not breathable, an its not designed as a uq protector. Its purpose is to take off the chill of a cool summer evening.

RyanXIII

Great review, I'm glad I read this before rushing to buy! I camp with a Hennessy Expedition, up to this point I've been using a sleeping bag rated for 20 degrees F which doesn't keep me warm enough and a windshield cover which seems to make the difference. I'd like to ditch the windshield cover due to its awkwardness.. Do you know if this product will work with my hammock and in your opinion would this product be an appropriate substitution for a windshield cover?

G00SE

Ryan, I would invest in a quality underquilt rather than spend money of this limited-ranged item. Or get a cheap Thermarest closed cell pad and a pad extender.