In January, Trailspace was on the scene at the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market tradeshow, where the latest gear, apparel, and footwear for winter 2014-15 was announced.
Seth and I spent the four-day show meeting with outdoor brands—old and new, large and small—scouting for new gear to cover, for Review Corps members to test, and for us to give away to you, our community of reviewers.
Here's a recap of Trailspace's Outdoor Retailer winter news, videos, and photos:
Daily news and roundups came straight from the show floor.
- Arc'teryx Hybrid Shells, Vapur After Hours: OR Day 4
- BD Apparel, Easton Snowshoes, Bergans Ski Touring: OR Day 3
(Bergans of Norway, Black Diamond, Easton, Lowe Alpine, Rab, Salomon, Vibram FiveFingers)
- One-Piece Jacket, Dial-a-Headlamp, Electrifying Gloves: OR Day 3
(The North Face, Outdoor Research)
- Touchy Headlamp, Performance Down, Spiky Shoes: OR Day 2
(CamelBak, IceBug, Nite Ize/Innova, PrimaLoft)
- Winter Packs, Trail Runners, American Made: OR Day 2
(The American Mountain Co., Deuter, Farm to Feet, Gregory, La Sportiva, Osprey, TurboPup )
- Origami Stove, Rocket Snowshoes, Toasty Rain Coats: OR Day 1
(Crescent Moon, MSR, Sierra Designs, Soto)
- Cooking without Fire, Lightest Ski Helmet: OR Day 1
(Baro Cook, Berghaus, Icebreaker, K2, Keen, Klymit, Mountain Hardwear, Scarpa, Vasque)
- Outdoor Retailer Demo Day: A Winter Wonderland of Gear
(Bike Boards, MSR, Snow Gliders)
We hope watching some new gear videos is a close second to being with us in person.
- Atlas Endeavor snowshoes
- BioLite Packable Generator and BaseCamp stove
- Black Diamond JetForce Avalanche Airbag System demo
- Eagles Nest Outfitters Special Edition AT & PCT Hammocks
- Gerbing Next Generation Glove
- Hillsound Armadillo LT Gaiter
- Inova STS Headlamp
- Klymit Motion Backpacks
- MSR Base Camp Snow Saw & Responder Shovel
- Outdoor Research ALTIHeat Gloves
- Patagonia Capilene 4 Pro
- Potable Aqua Pure
- PrimaLoft Performance Down Blends
- SmartWool PhD SmartLoft Hoody Sport
- Snow Gliders snowshoes
- Soto Windmaster Stove
- Tubbs Flex VRT snowshoe
Because we couldn't fit everything we saw above, here are even more pictures from the show:
- All Mountain Demo Day Photo Album
- Day 1 Photo Album
- Day 2 Photo Album
- Day 3 Photo Album
- Day 4 Photo Album
So, what forthcoming outdoor gear do you think is truly interesting, notable, and worthy of Review Corps testing?
We want to hear your thoughts as a hiker, skier, climber, or trail runner.
Can't wait till summer? Here are two bonus shots of Seth and me (oh, and skier Glen Plake) from this Outdoor Retailer: